Tuna NiçoiseElena Duggan
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ bunch tarragon, leaves only
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 125g extra virgin olive oil
- White pepper
- Pink salt
- 500g Chat or kipfler potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces or quarters
- 8 jumbo eggs, free range organic
- 250g green beans, trimmed
- 1kg fresh tuna, sushi grade, local
- 250g perino tomatoes, halved
- 250g niçoise olives (black/ kalamata are also fine)
- 100g capers
- 1 bunch chives, diced
- 50g extra virgin olive oil
- Crispy skin salmon can work as a tuna alternative, or even chicken breast if desired.
- To make the dressing, blitz all ingredients in blender or stick mixer until smooth. Set aside. Alternatively, you can combine solid ingredients to create a paste in a mortar and pestle before adding wet ingredients and stirring through
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil (use the same water for the eggs, beans and potatoes to save water).
- Place eggs in when boiling and time for 8 minutes before removing and refresh in iced water.
- Bring water back to the boil and blanch beans until just turned vibrant green, then remove and refresh in iced water.
- Bring water back to the boil and cook potatoes until just cooked or when a knife goes in easily, then remove and refresh in iced water.
- Once cool, peel eggs and quarter them lengthways.
- Heat a medium pan. Rub olive oil and 1tbsp of the dressing all over tuna’s surface. Cook tuna until opaque, approximately ¼ of the depth of the cut, on all sides before resting for 5 minutes. Cut slices ensuring the rare inside and cooked exterior are visible.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, beans, tomatoes, olives, and capers through ½ the dressing gently so as not to rough any ingredients edges up.
- Place a bed of the salad on the plate to serve, followed by eggs, chives and tuna pieces.
- Drizzle any leftover dressing all over the top.
- To add further refinement to this dish, olives can be dehydrated in a microwave oven 1 minute at a time and finely diced until resembling a fine dry crumb – these will become a flavoured seasoning and textural and colour boost for the dish.
- Eggs can be run through a ricer for an alternative texture than can be sprinkled over salad.
- The base of this salad lasts well undressed and without fish component in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
- Keto Friendly
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...