Twice Baked Cheese SouffleRob Rees
- 290ml Semi Skimmed Milk
- 1⁄2 Sliced Onion
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 45g Butter
- 45g Flour
- Pinch of Dry English Mustard
- 125g Strong Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- 3 Eggs, Separated Cracked Black Pepper
- 100g Butter, melted
- 150g Panko Bread Crumbs
- A good drizzle of olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar for dressing.
- 1 Small bunch of fresh Watercress leaves
- 1 Green Apple
- 1 Celery Stick
- Freshly chopped coriander
- 12 Caper Berries
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Teaspoons clear honey
- 1 Tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C.
- Line the ramekins by first brushing the inner edges and bottoms evenly with melted butter. Then coat evenly with the crumbs and set aside.
- Heat the milk slowly with the onion and the nutmeg then remove from the heat and strain out the onion.
- Melt the butter and stir in the flour and cook out for 1 minute then gradually add the milk, off the heat, stirring until smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Continue to add the remaining milk in this way until all is combined and you have a smooth white sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, 3⁄4 of the cheese and then the egg yolks. Season with cracked black pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold 1⁄2 the whisked egg whites into the cheese mixture then fold in the remaining whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the ramekins. Run your finger around the edge of each ramekin to clean then place in a roasting tin. Fill the tray half way up the side of the ramekin with boiling water and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the mixture is set. Allow to sink and cool.
- Run a knife round the edges of the soufflés to loosen them then turn them out on to your hand.
- Twenty minutes before serving, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place into a hot oven, 200 ̊C for 10 minutes or until the soufflé tops are pale gold. Serve fast before they sink!
- Serve with a salad of herbs, apple, pine nuts, celery, mayonnaise, leaves and caper berries.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...