Twice Baked Cheese SouffleRob Rees
- 290ml Semi Skimmed Milk
- 1⁄2 Sliced Onion
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 45g Butter
- 45g Flour
- Pinch of Dry English Mustard
- 125g Strong Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- 3 Eggs, Separated Cracked Black Pepper
- 100g Butter, melted
- 150g Panko Bread Crumbs
- A good drizzle of olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar for dressing.
- 1 Small bunch of fresh Watercress leaves
- 1 Green Apple
- 1 Celery Stick
- Freshly chopped coriander
- 12 Caper Berries
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Teaspoons clear honey
- 1 Tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C.
- Line the ramekins by first brushing the inner edges and bottoms evenly with melted butter. Then coat evenly with the crumbs and set aside.
- Heat the milk slowly with the onion and the nutmeg then remove from the heat and strain out the onion.
- Melt the butter and stir in the flour and cook out for 1 minute then gradually add the milk, off the heat, stirring until smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Continue to add the remaining milk in this way until all is combined and you have a smooth white sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, 3⁄4 of the cheese and then the egg yolks. Season with cracked black pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold 1⁄2 the whisked egg whites into the cheese mixture then fold in the remaining whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the ramekins. Run your finger around the edge of each ramekin to clean then place in a roasting tin. Fill the tray half way up the side of the ramekin with boiling water and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the mixture is set. Allow to sink and cool.
- Run a knife round the edges of the soufflés to loosen them then turn them out on to your hand.
- Twenty minutes before serving, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place into a hot oven, 200 ̊C for 10 minutes or until the soufflé tops are pale gold. Serve fast before they sink!
- Serve with a salad of herbs, apple, pine nuts, celery, mayonnaise, leaves and caper berries.
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...