Vege Soup with ChickpeasKathy Tsaples
- 500g dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight
- 1-2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more if needed
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A sprinkling of dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan, add the onion and sauté until it starts to colour.
- Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, rinse them under cold water and drain them again.
- Shake the colander or sieve to dry the chickpeas as much as possible, then add them to the pan. Turn them with a spatula for a few minutes to coat them well with the oil.
- Add the celery and bay leaf, then pour enough hot water to submerge the contents of the pot by about 4 centimetres.
- Bring to a boil. Skim off any white froth that rises to the surface using a slotted spoon.
- Lower the heat, add some pepper, cover and cook for 1–1L/e hours or until the chickpeas are soft.
- When the chickpeas are perfectly soft, add the lemon juice. Mix well, then add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and cook gently for 5–10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- To thicken the soup slightly, take out about two cupfuls of the chickpeas and put them in a food processor. Make sure the chickpeas are broken up but remain slightly rough. Stir this into the soup in the pan and mix well.
- Add the parsley and oregano, then taste the soup. If it seems a little bland, add more lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve in heated bowls and offer extra olive oil at the table for drizzling on top of the soup.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...