Vege Soup with ChickpeasKathy Tsaples
- 500g dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight
- 1-2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more if needed
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A sprinkling of dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan, add the onion and sauté until it starts to colour.
- Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, rinse them under cold water and drain them again.
- Shake the colander or sieve to dry the chickpeas as much as possible, then add them to the pan. Turn them with a spatula for a few minutes to coat them well with the oil.
- Add the celery and bay leaf, then pour enough hot water to submerge the contents of the pot by about 4 centimetres.
- Bring to a boil. Skim off any white froth that rises to the surface using a slotted spoon.
- Lower the heat, add some pepper, cover and cook for 1–1L/e hours or until the chickpeas are soft.
- When the chickpeas are perfectly soft, add the lemon juice. Mix well, then add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and cook gently for 5–10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- To thicken the soup slightly, take out about two cupfuls of the chickpeas and put them in a food processor. Make sure the chickpeas are broken up but remain slightly rough. Stir this into the soup in the pan and mix well.
- Add the parsley and oregano, then taste the soup. If it seems a little bland, add more lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve in heated bowls and offer extra olive oil at the table for drizzling on top of the soup.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...