Vege Soup with ChickpeasKathy Tsaples
- 500g dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight
- 1-2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more if needed
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A sprinkling of dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan, add the onion and sauté until it starts to colour.
- Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, rinse them under cold water and drain them again.
- Shake the colander or sieve to dry the chickpeas as much as possible, then add them to the pan. Turn them with a spatula for a few minutes to coat them well with the oil.
- Add the celery and bay leaf, then pour enough hot water to submerge the contents of the pot by about 4 centimetres.
- Bring to a boil. Skim off any white froth that rises to the surface using a slotted spoon.
- Lower the heat, add some pepper, cover and cook for 1–1L/e hours or until the chickpeas are soft.
- When the chickpeas are perfectly soft, add the lemon juice. Mix well, then add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and cook gently for 5–10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- To thicken the soup slightly, take out about two cupfuls of the chickpeas and put them in a food processor. Make sure the chickpeas are broken up but remain slightly rough. Stir this into the soup in the pan and mix well.
- Add the parsley and oregano, then taste the soup. If it seems a little bland, add more lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve in heated bowls and offer extra olive oil at the table for drizzling on top of the soup.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...