White Bean SoupKathy Tsaples
- 500g small dried white beans, soaked in cold water overnight and drained
- 1 small stalk of celery, sliced and with leaves set aside
- 2 carrots, sliced 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 small dried red chilli, crushed (optional)
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup (120 mL) of olive oil
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes (400g)
- 1L of stock
- Olives, pickles, and cheese (to serve)
- Rinse the beans, put them in a large pan, and pour in cold water so they are submerged. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for around 30 minutes until almost tender. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Crush the tomatoes and add the tomato paste. Add the carrots, celery, celery leaves and chilli, and pour in the hot water.
- Bring to a boil, add the drained beans, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1–2 hours until the beans are tender and the soup has thickened. Check frequently during cooking and add more hot water if necessary. The length of time to cook and the amount of additional water depends on the quality, age and condition of the beans.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper, and accompanied by olives, pickles and cheese
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...