White Bean SoupKathy Tsaples
- 500g small dried white beans, soaked in cold water overnight and drained
- 1 small stalk of celery, sliced and with leaves set aside
- 2 carrots, sliced 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 small dried red chilli, crushed (optional)
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup (120 mL) of olive oil
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes (400g)
- 1L of stock
- Olives, pickles, and cheese (to serve)
- Rinse the beans, put them in a large pan, and pour in cold water so they are submerged. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for around 30 minutes until almost tender. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Crush the tomatoes and add the tomato paste. Add the carrots, celery, celery leaves and chilli, and pour in the hot water.
- Bring to a boil, add the drained beans, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1–2 hours until the beans are tender and the soup has thickened. Check frequently during cooking and add more hot water if necessary. The length of time to cook and the amount of additional water depends on the quality, age and condition of the beans.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper, and accompanied by olives, pickles and cheese
Ingredients: 2 heads broccoli 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 head garlic, unpeeled 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock 120g baby spinach leaves 125g sour cream, plus extra to serve Chilli flakes & herbs, such as basil,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations Ingredients: 2 pieces Shimeji mushroom (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Red capsicum (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Zucchini (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Eggplant (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Sweet potato...
Ingredients: 30ml Vegetable oil 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 3 small red onions, 1 sliced, 2 roughly chopped 1 Red Scotch bonnet, finely chopped 100g Tomato paste 2 Tsp curry powder 1 Tsp Thyme, Fresh preferably but dried will also work 2 Bay leaves 1lt Chicken...
Ingredients:For pastry: 225g Plain Flour 100g Butter, unsalted (Make sure it’s really cold!) 4 Tbsp water, chilled For Filling: 250ml Cream 2 Large Eggs 200g Gaunchalie (or bacon) 1 Brown Onion, diced 100g Heritage baby tomatoes (halved) 125g Gruyère cheese 50g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Ocean Spray Ingredients: 400g Venison Loin 1 Carrot chopped 1 Brown onion, diced 1 Bay Leaf 2 Sprigs Rosemary 1 Bulb Garlic 1 Glass Red wine 1 Tbsp Tomato paste 700ml Beef Stock 100g Dark chocolate ...
Ingredients: 100g self raising flour 1 egg 3 tbs sour cream 2 tins corn ½ bunch coriander 1 bunch spring onions 2 avocados 1 shallot 1 long red chilli 2 limes Method: n a mixing bowl, combine your egg, the tinned corn, ½ a shallot, sour cream and flour together,...