White Bean SoupKathy Tsaples
- 500g small dried white beans, soaked in cold water overnight and drained
- 1 small stalk of celery, sliced and with leaves set aside
- 2 carrots, sliced 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 small dried red chilli, crushed (optional)
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup (120 mL) of olive oil
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes (400g)
- 1L of stock
- Olives, pickles, and cheese (to serve)
- Rinse the beans, put them in a large pan, and pour in cold water so they are submerged. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for around 30 minutes until almost tender. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent. Crush the tomatoes and add the tomato paste. Add the carrots, celery, celery leaves and chilli, and pour in the hot water.
- Bring to a boil, add the drained beans, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1–2 hours until the beans are tender and the soup has thickened. Check frequently during cooking and add more hot water if necessary. The length of time to cook and the amount of additional water depends on the quality, age and condition of the beans.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper, and accompanied by olives, pickles and cheese
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...