Wholesome Carrot CakeGeorgia Barnes
- 3 cups wholegrain spelt flour 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp natural salt flakes
- 4 free-range eggs
- 300ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 100g walnuts, extra for decorating 1/2 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 500g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan-forced. Grease and line two 8- inch cake tins.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt flakes. Mix together. Make a well in the centre of the bowl. Add eggs, olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk together until just combined. Using a spatula, fold through carrots, walnuts and dates.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared tins. Place in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
To make the icing, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind. Mix until smooth.
- Remove cooled cakes from tins. Spread 1/3 of the icing over the first cake. Place the second cake on top. Using a palette knife, evenly spread remaining icing over sides and top of cake. Decorate sides using additional walnuts. Serve and enjoy with a hot cuppa!
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients:BASE 3 Egg Yolks 1/2 cup Caster Sugar 125g soft butter 2 cups Self-Raising flour 1 cup orange juice Vanilla TOPPING 3 egg whites 1/2 cup caster sugar 1 cup desiccated coconut Method: Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add yolks and vanilla. Fold in the...
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...