Wholesome Carrot CakeGeorgia Barnes
- 3 cups wholegrain spelt flour 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp natural salt flakes
- 4 free-range eggs
- 300ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 100g walnuts, extra for decorating 1/2 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 500g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan-forced. Grease and line two 8- inch cake tins.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt flakes. Mix together. Make a well in the centre of the bowl. Add eggs, olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk together until just combined. Using a spatula, fold through carrots, walnuts and dates.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared tins. Place in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
To make the icing, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind. Mix until smooth.
- Remove cooled cakes from tins. Spread 1/3 of the icing over the first cake. Place the second cake on top. Using a palette knife, evenly spread remaining icing over sides and top of cake. Decorate sides using additional walnuts. Serve and enjoy with a hot cuppa!
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g Plain Flour 250g Bread flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp sea salt 125g Butter, unsalted 125g Light brown sugar 125g Caster Sugar 1 large Egg 1 tsp vanilla extract 100g Dark chocolate block 100g White chocolate chips Method: Preheat oven to 180 degrees...
Ingredients: 150g raisins 100ml grappa 400g plain flour 10g yeast 115g sugar 2 eggs 150ml milk 30g toasted pine nuts Zest 1 orange Zest 1 lemon 50g chopped candied fruit Canola oil, for frying Method: Soak the raisins in grappa and let them plump up for 5 minutes,...
Ingredients: 600g assorted stone fruit* Extra virgin olive oil 1 lemon 1 vanilla bean 300g thick Greek yoghurt 2 tbsp floral honey 50g salted macadamia, coarsely chopped Method: Cut and drizzle fruit with olive oil and grill, cut sides down, until juicy and charred,...
Ingredients:Serves 2 4x scoops Ensure chocolate powder 1 cup milk ½ cup cream 1 tbsp. caster sugar 1 tbsp. cornflour 1 tbsp. cocoa powder, sifted 2 tbsp. boiling water 2 egg yolks Shaved dark chocolate and fresh berries to serve Method: Gently heat the milk and cream...
Ingredients: Serves 1 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed berries 3 teaspoons chia seeds 1 cup natural yoghurt 3 scoops Ensure Vanilla Powder 3 tablespoons oats 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1⁄2 kiwifruit, sliced (try keeping the skin on) 1 tablespoon dry roasted almonds, roughly...
Ingredients: 175g Oats 3 ripe bananas 1 egg 1 tbsp honey 1/2 tsp baking powder 3 tbsp almond butter 1 punnet of frozen blueberries Pinch of salt Method: 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees2. Puree the bananas together in a mixing bowl, until a thick paste. Fold in the...