Wholesome Carrot CakeGeorgia Barnes
- 3 cups wholegrain spelt flour 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp natural salt flakes
- 4 free-range eggs
- 300ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 100g walnuts, extra for decorating 1/2 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 500g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan-forced. Grease and line two 8- inch cake tins.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt flakes. Mix together. Make a well in the centre of the bowl. Add eggs, olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk together until just combined. Using a spatula, fold through carrots, walnuts and dates.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared tins. Place in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
To make the icing, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind. Mix until smooth.
- Remove cooled cakes from tins. Spread 1/3 of the icing over the first cake. Place the second cake on top. Using a palette knife, evenly spread remaining icing over sides and top of cake. Decorate sides using additional walnuts. Serve and enjoy with a hot cuppa!
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...