Wholesome Carrot CakeGeorgia Barnes
- 3 cups wholegrain spelt flour 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp natural salt flakes
- 4 free-range eggs
- 300ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 100g walnuts, extra for decorating 1/2 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 500g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan-forced. Grease and line two 8- inch cake tins.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt flakes. Mix together. Make a well in the centre of the bowl. Add eggs, olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk together until just combined. Using a spatula, fold through carrots, walnuts and dates.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared tins. Place in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
To make the icing, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind. Mix until smooth.
- Remove cooled cakes from tins. Spread 1/3 of the icing over the first cake. Place the second cake on top. Using a palette knife, evenly spread remaining icing over sides and top of cake. Decorate sides using additional walnuts. Serve and enjoy with a hot cuppa!
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...