Za'atar Roasted Chicken with FattehCharlie Carrington
- 1 free range butterflied chicken
- 40 ml (1¼ fl oz) grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon za’atar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 375 g (13 oz) yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 white onion, diced
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves picked
- ½ bunch dill, fronds picked
- 50 ml (1¾ fl oz) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 40 g (1½ oz) toasted walnuts, chopped
- 250 g (9 oz) cooked chickpeas (tinned is acceptable)
- 60 g (2 oz) tahini
- Pinch of aleppo pepper or paprika for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Rub the chicken with 20 ml (¾ fl oz) of oil, put in a roasting tin and roast for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 200°C (400°F). Mix the next 20 ml (¾ fl oz) of oil with the za’atar and a pinch of salt and pour over the chicken. Return to the oven and roast for 10 minutes.
- To make the fatteh, in a large bowl combine the garlic, yoghurt, cumin, onion, parsley, dill, olive oil, za’atar, salt, pomegranate molasses and walnuts to make a flavoured yoghurt. In a saucepan warm the fatteh very gently; it’s not meant to be to hot, just warm.
- Fold the chickpeas through the tahini and set aside.
- Place the chicken on the serving platter whole. In a wide shallow bowl, put the chickpea mix on the left and the fatteh on the right and using a fine strainer dust it with some aleppo pepper or paprika and serve.
Tangy, herby za’atar is queen of the spice blends in Lebanon, and every family has its own version. Here, I’ve used it as a rub for chicken, teaming it with fatteh to add a cooling, creamy element to the dish. Fatteh is a classic breakfast dish eaten in the Levantine, and a tasty way to use up stale flatbread by toasting and covering it with spiced yoghurt.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...