Za'atar Roasted Chicken with FattehCharlie Carrington
- 1 free range butterflied chicken
- 40 ml (1¼ fl oz) grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon za’atar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 375 g (13 oz) yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 white onion, diced
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves picked
- ½ bunch dill, fronds picked
- 50 ml (1¾ fl oz) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 40 g (1½ oz) toasted walnuts, chopped
- 250 g (9 oz) cooked chickpeas (tinned is acceptable)
- 60 g (2 oz) tahini
- Pinch of aleppo pepper or paprika for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Rub the chicken with 20 ml (¾ fl oz) of oil, put in a roasting tin and roast for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 200°C (400°F). Mix the next 20 ml (¾ fl oz) of oil with the za’atar and a pinch of salt and pour over the chicken. Return to the oven and roast for 10 minutes.
- To make the fatteh, in a large bowl combine the garlic, yoghurt, cumin, onion, parsley, dill, olive oil, za’atar, salt, pomegranate molasses and walnuts to make a flavoured yoghurt. In a saucepan warm the fatteh very gently; it’s not meant to be to hot, just warm.
- Fold the chickpeas through the tahini and set aside.
- Place the chicken on the serving platter whole. In a wide shallow bowl, put the chickpea mix on the left and the fatteh on the right and using a fine strainer dust it with some aleppo pepper or paprika and serve.
Tangy, herby za’atar is queen of the spice blends in Lebanon, and every family has its own version. Here, I’ve used it as a rub for chicken, teaming it with fatteh to add a cooling, creamy element to the dish. Fatteh is a classic breakfast dish eaten in the Levantine, and a tasty way to use up stale flatbread by toasting and covering it with spiced yoghurt.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...