Za'atar Roasted Chicken with FattehCharlie Carrington
- 1 free range butterflied chicken
- 40 ml (1¼ fl oz) grape seed oil
- 1 tablespoon za’atar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 375 g (13 oz) yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 white onion, diced
- ½ bunch parsley, leaves picked
- ½ bunch dill, fronds picked
- 50 ml (1¾ fl oz) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 40 g (1½ oz) toasted walnuts, chopped
- 250 g (9 oz) cooked chickpeas (tinned is acceptable)
- 60 g (2 oz) tahini
- Pinch of aleppo pepper or paprika for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Rub the chicken with 20 ml (¾ fl oz) of oil, put in a roasting tin and roast for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 200°C (400°F). Mix the next 20 ml (¾ fl oz) of oil with the za’atar and a pinch of salt and pour over the chicken. Return to the oven and roast for 10 minutes.
- To make the fatteh, in a large bowl combine the garlic, yoghurt, cumin, onion, parsley, dill, olive oil, za’atar, salt, pomegranate molasses and walnuts to make a flavoured yoghurt. In a saucepan warm the fatteh very gently; it’s not meant to be to hot, just warm.
- Fold the chickpeas through the tahini and set aside.
- Place the chicken on the serving platter whole. In a wide shallow bowl, put the chickpea mix on the left and the fatteh on the right and using a fine strainer dust it with some aleppo pepper or paprika and serve.
Tangy, herby za’atar is queen of the spice blends in Lebanon, and every family has its own version. Here, I’ve used it as a rub for chicken, teaming it with fatteh to add a cooling, creamy element to the dish. Fatteh is a classic breakfast dish eaten in the Levantine, and a tasty way to use up stale flatbread by toasting and covering it with spiced yoghurt.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...