Beef and Lemongrass Betel Leaf RollsMatt Sinclair
- 500g beef mince
- 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated
- 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 bunch betel leaves, washed, dried and stems trimmed
- 250g vermicelli noodles, cooked as per instructions
- 1 bunch assorted Asian herbs eg. Vietnamese mint/perilla/coriander/Thai basil
- 100g fried shallots
- 100g roasted chopped peanuts
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Heat a (coal) barbeque until the coals have turned white. (Alternatively use a preheated BBQ grill on medium-high.)
- In a large bowl, add the beef, lemongrass, sliced white part of the spring onions, garlic, coriander, fish sauce, sugar, salt and white pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Lay out the betel leaves shiny side-down (use 2 for one roll if they are a smaller size). Spoon about 1 tablespoon of beef mixture on the bottom third of each leaf, forming it into a log horizontally. Fold the leaf over the filling, fold in the sides and roll up to enclose and form a tight roll. Place seam side-down to avoid in unravelling. Repeat with remaining beef and betel leaves.
- Combine the Nuoc Cham ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- Place the betel leaf rolls seam side down onto the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through, turning at 2 minute intervals for even colour and char.
- Serve hot on a bed of vermicelli noodles and Asian herbs, drizzle with nuoc cham and garnish with the green part of the spring onions, crispy shallots and peanuts.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms 200g Fillet Steak, cooked on a bbq or pan to your liking. 50g peas 50g small broad beans 1 spring onions, thinly sliced Small handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped Small handful fresh...