Beef and Lemongrass Betel Leaf RollsMatt Sinclair
- 500g beef mince
- 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated
- 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 bunch betel leaves, washed, dried and stems trimmed
- 250g vermicelli noodles, cooked as per instructions
- 1 bunch assorted Asian herbs eg. Vietnamese mint/perilla/coriander/Thai basil
- 100g fried shallots
- 100g roasted chopped peanuts
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Heat a (coal) barbeque until the coals have turned white. (Alternatively use a preheated BBQ grill on medium-high.)
- In a large bowl, add the beef, lemongrass, sliced white part of the spring onions, garlic, coriander, fish sauce, sugar, salt and white pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Lay out the betel leaves shiny side-down (use 2 for one roll if they are a smaller size). Spoon about 1 tablespoon of beef mixture on the bottom third of each leaf, forming it into a log horizontally. Fold the leaf over the filling, fold in the sides and roll up to enclose and form a tight roll. Place seam side-down to avoid in unravelling. Repeat with remaining beef and betel leaves.
- Combine the Nuoc Cham ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- Place the betel leaf rolls seam side down onto the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through, turning at 2 minute intervals for even colour and char.
- Serve hot on a bed of vermicelli noodles and Asian herbs, drizzle with nuoc cham and garnish with the green part of the spring onions, crispy shallots and peanuts.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...