Beef and Lemongrass Betel Leaf RollsMatt Sinclair
- 500g beef mince
- 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated
- 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 bunch betel leaves, washed, dried and stems trimmed
- 250g vermicelli noodles, cooked as per instructions
- 1 bunch assorted Asian herbs eg. Vietnamese mint/perilla/coriander/Thai basil
- 100g fried shallots
- 100g roasted chopped peanuts
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Heat a (coal) barbeque until the coals have turned white. (Alternatively use a preheated BBQ grill on medium-high.)
- In a large bowl, add the beef, lemongrass, sliced white part of the spring onions, garlic, coriander, fish sauce, sugar, salt and white pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Lay out the betel leaves shiny side-down (use 2 for one roll if they are a smaller size). Spoon about 1 tablespoon of beef mixture on the bottom third of each leaf, forming it into a log horizontally. Fold the leaf over the filling, fold in the sides and roll up to enclose and form a tight roll. Place seam side-down to avoid in unravelling. Repeat with remaining beef and betel leaves.
- Combine the Nuoc Cham ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- Place the betel leaf rolls seam side down onto the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through, turning at 2 minute intervals for even colour and char.
- Serve hot on a bed of vermicelli noodles and Asian herbs, drizzle with nuoc cham and garnish with the green part of the spring onions, crispy shallots and peanuts.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: 2 heads broccoli 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 head garlic, unpeeled 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock 120g baby spinach leaves 125g sour cream, plus extra to serve Chilli flakes & herbs, such as basil,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations Ingredients: 2 pieces Shimeji mushroom (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Red capsicum (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Zucchini (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Eggplant (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Sweet potato...
Ingredients: 30ml Vegetable oil 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 3 small red onions, 1 sliced, 2 roughly chopped 1 Red Scotch bonnet, finely chopped 100g Tomato paste 2 Tsp curry powder 1 Tsp Thyme, Fresh preferably but dried will also work 2 Bay leaves 1lt Chicken...
Ingredients:For pastry: 225g Plain Flour 100g Butter, unsalted (Make sure it’s really cold!) 4 Tbsp water, chilled For Filling: 250ml Cream 2 Large Eggs 200g Gaunchalie (or bacon) 1 Brown Onion, diced 100g Heritage baby tomatoes (halved) 125g Gruyère cheese 50g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Ocean Spray Ingredients: 400g Venison Loin 1 Carrot chopped 1 Brown onion, diced 1 Bay Leaf 2 Sprigs Rosemary 1 Bulb Garlic 1 Glass Red wine 1 Tbsp Tomato paste 700ml Beef Stock 100g Dark chocolate ...
Ingredients: 100g self raising flour 1 egg 3 tbs sour cream 2 tins corn ½ bunch coriander 1 bunch spring onions 2 avocados 1 shallot 1 long red chilli 2 limes Method: n a mixing bowl, combine your egg, the tinned corn, ½ a shallot, sour cream and flour together,...