Beef and Lemongrass Betel Leaf RollsMatt Sinclair
- 500g beef mince
- 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated
- 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 bunch betel leaves, washed, dried and stems trimmed
- 250g vermicelli noodles, cooked as per instructions
- 1 bunch assorted Asian herbs eg. Vietnamese mint/perilla/coriander/Thai basil
- 100g fried shallots
- 100g roasted chopped peanuts
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Heat a (coal) barbeque until the coals have turned white. (Alternatively use a preheated BBQ grill on medium-high.)
- In a large bowl, add the beef, lemongrass, sliced white part of the spring onions, garlic, coriander, fish sauce, sugar, salt and white pepper in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Lay out the betel leaves shiny side-down (use 2 for one roll if they are a smaller size). Spoon about 1 tablespoon of beef mixture on the bottom third of each leaf, forming it into a log horizontally. Fold the leaf over the filling, fold in the sides and roll up to enclose and form a tight roll. Place seam side-down to avoid in unravelling. Repeat with remaining beef and betel leaves.
- Combine the Nuoc Cham ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- Place the betel leaf rolls seam side down onto the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through, turning at 2 minute intervals for even colour and char.
- Serve hot on a bed of vermicelli noodles and Asian herbs, drizzle with nuoc cham and garnish with the green part of the spring onions, crispy shallots and peanuts.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...