Caramelised Onion Sausage RollsElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 1kg Brown onions, 850g after peeling, sliced into 5mm rings
- 20g Massel Vegetable stock powder
- 100g Boiling water
- 30g Stevia
- Pinch Black pepper
- 500g Pork mince
- 500g Beef mince
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
- 6 Sheets Puff Pastry, thawed (you can also use Gluten Free if intolerant)
Dried Herbs & Spices
- 2.5g Sage
- 2.5g Rosemary
- 5g Parsley
- 5g Oregano
- 10g Smoked paprika
- 20g Garlic granules
- 12.5g Chives
- 25g Onion flakes
- Sesame or poppy seeds for surface texture and decoration.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius, fan forced.
- In a large heavy based fry pan, heat EVOO to a medium heat, soften onions whist stirring to ensure even caramelisation. Add stock powder, water and stevia and stir until dissolved. Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- While the onions are caramelizing, in a large bowl mix the mince, eggs and dried herbs and spices together until just combined and set aside.
- Allow onions to cool to room temperature before stirring through the mince mixture.
- Place an even amount of mince on each sheet of your pastry sheets and knead into long sausage shape in the centre across the length. Place a small amount or egg wash on the inside top of the sheet of pastry in a line, this will act as glue to seal the roll shut. Fold the bottom of the pastry sheet up and over the filling and then the top of the pastry sheet down to overlap it by approximately 1cm. Gently press the pastry together to form a seal.
- On a lined baking tray, place the sausage rolls, sealed side down on the tray. Brush them all with egg wash thoroughly to gain even golden colour.
- Gently press poppy or sesame seeds in a line down the middle. If smaller sizes are desired gently but firmly cut to size with a sharp knife and leave a gap between each roll on the tray.
- Place sausage rolls in the oven for 30minutes, or until meat is cooked through and pastry is golden.
- Serve hot with your favourite sauce or they are just as tasty cold in lunchboxes.
- Once carmelised, the weight of the onions is reduced to below 500g (468g).
- Dried ingredients negate the need for breadcrumbs in terms of aiding binding of mince mixture.
- Twice the amount of beef mince can be used to substitute the pork – in fact any of your favourite mince (chicken, turkey, veal) or combination works well, you may choose to adjust herb ratios however.
- Cutting the filled pastry into desired lengths is easier than filling pre-cut pastry.
- Grain free option could substitute pastry with cabbage leaves or lettuce cups – but would require stir-frying mince in balls first.
- Gluten free
- Grain free, optional
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...