Caramelised Onion Sausage RollsElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 1kg Brown onions, 850g after peeling, sliced into 5mm rings
- 20g Massel Vegetable stock powder
- 100g Boiling water
- 30g Stevia
- Pinch Black pepper
- 500g Pork mince
- 500g Beef mince
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
- 6 Sheets Puff Pastry, thawed (you can also use Gluten Free if intolerant)
Dried Herbs & Spices
- 2.5g Sage
- 2.5g Rosemary
- 5g Parsley
- 5g Oregano
- 10g Smoked paprika
- 20g Garlic granules
- 12.5g Chives
- 25g Onion flakes
- Sesame or poppy seeds for surface texture and decoration.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius, fan forced.
- In a large heavy based fry pan, heat EVOO to a medium heat, soften onions whist stirring to ensure even caramelisation. Add stock powder, water and stevia and stir until dissolved. Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- While the onions are caramelizing, in a large bowl mix the mince, eggs and dried herbs and spices together until just combined and set aside.
- Allow onions to cool to room temperature before stirring through the mince mixture.
- Place an even amount of mince on each sheet of your pastry sheets and knead into long sausage shape in the centre across the length. Place a small amount or egg wash on the inside top of the sheet of pastry in a line, this will act as glue to seal the roll shut. Fold the bottom of the pastry sheet up and over the filling and then the top of the pastry sheet down to overlap it by approximately 1cm. Gently press the pastry together to form a seal.
- On a lined baking tray, place the sausage rolls, sealed side down on the tray. Brush them all with egg wash thoroughly to gain even golden colour.
- Gently press poppy or sesame seeds in a line down the middle. If smaller sizes are desired gently but firmly cut to size with a sharp knife and leave a gap between each roll on the tray.
- Place sausage rolls in the oven for 30minutes, or until meat is cooked through and pastry is golden.
- Serve hot with your favourite sauce or they are just as tasty cold in lunchboxes.
- Once carmelised, the weight of the onions is reduced to below 500g (468g).
- Dried ingredients negate the need for breadcrumbs in terms of aiding binding of mince mixture.
- Twice the amount of beef mince can be used to substitute the pork – in fact any of your favourite mince (chicken, turkey, veal) or combination works well, you may choose to adjust herb ratios however.
- Cutting the filled pastry into desired lengths is easier than filling pre-cut pastry.
- Grain free option could substitute pastry with cabbage leaves or lettuce cups – but would require stir-frying mince in balls first.
- Gluten free
- Grain free, optional
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...