Caramelised Onion Sausage RollsElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 1kg Brown onions, 850g after peeling, sliced into 5mm rings
- 20g Massel Vegetable stock powder
- 100g Boiling water
- 30g Stevia
- Pinch Black pepper
- 500g Pork mince
- 500g Beef mince
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
- 6 Sheets Puff Pastry, thawed (you can also use Gluten Free if intolerant)
Dried Herbs & Spices
- 2.5g Sage
- 2.5g Rosemary
- 5g Parsley
- 5g Oregano
- 10g Smoked paprika
- 20g Garlic granules
- 12.5g Chives
- 25g Onion flakes
- Sesame or poppy seeds for surface texture and decoration.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius, fan forced.
- In a large heavy based fry pan, heat EVOO to a medium heat, soften onions whist stirring to ensure even caramelisation. Add stock powder, water and stevia and stir until dissolved. Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- While the onions are caramelizing, in a large bowl mix the mince, eggs and dried herbs and spices together until just combined and set aside.
- Allow onions to cool to room temperature before stirring through the mince mixture.
- Place an even amount of mince on each sheet of your pastry sheets and knead into long sausage shape in the centre across the length. Place a small amount or egg wash on the inside top of the sheet of pastry in a line, this will act as glue to seal the roll shut. Fold the bottom of the pastry sheet up and over the filling and then the top of the pastry sheet down to overlap it by approximately 1cm. Gently press the pastry together to form a seal.
- On a lined baking tray, place the sausage rolls, sealed side down on the tray. Brush them all with egg wash thoroughly to gain even golden colour.
- Gently press poppy or sesame seeds in a line down the middle. If smaller sizes are desired gently but firmly cut to size with a sharp knife and leave a gap between each roll on the tray.
- Place sausage rolls in the oven for 30minutes, or until meat is cooked through and pastry is golden.
- Serve hot with your favourite sauce or they are just as tasty cold in lunchboxes.
- Once carmelised, the weight of the onions is reduced to below 500g (468g).
- Dried ingredients negate the need for breadcrumbs in terms of aiding binding of mince mixture.
- Twice the amount of beef mince can be used to substitute the pork – in fact any of your favourite mince (chicken, turkey, veal) or combination works well, you may choose to adjust herb ratios however.
- Cutting the filled pastry into desired lengths is easier than filling pre-cut pastry.
- Grain free option could substitute pastry with cabbage leaves or lettuce cups – but would require stir-frying mince in balls first.
- Gluten free
- Grain free, optional
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
Ingredients: 2 cup caster sugar 2 cups soy sauce 1 cup shao-hsing wine 3L water 2 inch piece ginger 8 cloves garlic 6 spring onions, 5cm batons 8 star anise 8 coriander seeds 4 cinnamon quills 4 cloves 2 pork trotters Method: Place an even layer of sugar in a large...
Ingredients: 2 cups of black-eyed beans 1 bunch of English spinach (or baby spinach, if preferred), Roughly chopped and thoroughly washed 6 spring onions, finely chopped 1 onion, sliced 1/2 cup of olive oil 1 tbsp white wine vinegar juice of 1 lemon a few sprigs of...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes and Big4 Holiday Parks Assortment of Sausages 100ml Mayonnaise ½ bulb of roasted black garlic ½ lemon juiced Long metal skewers Method: Grill your sausages on your bbq until...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian InspirationsSalmon: 200g Fresh Australian salmon, skin on, pin bones removed 50ml Vegetable oil Miso Glaze: 50g White miso paste 50ml Obento Mirin Seasoning 50g Sugar Togarashi Crackers: 1 each...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra 1 brown onion, finely grated 2 cloves garlic, finely grated 1g saffron threads 400g Arborio Rice ½ cup dry white wine 1.5 Litres Vegetable stock 50g unsalted butter 125g parmesan, finely grated Method:...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...