Caramelised Onion Sausage RollsElena Duggan
- 50g EVOO
- 1kg Brown onions, 850g after peeling, sliced into 5mm rings
- 20g Massel Vegetable stock powder
- 100g Boiling water
- 30g Stevia
- Pinch Black pepper
- 500g Pork mince
- 500g Beef mince
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
- 6 Sheets Puff Pastry, thawed (you can also use Gluten Free if intolerant)
Dried Herbs & Spices
- 2.5g Sage
- 2.5g Rosemary
- 5g Parsley
- 5g Oregano
- 10g Smoked paprika
- 20g Garlic granules
- 12.5g Chives
- 25g Onion flakes
- Sesame or poppy seeds for surface texture and decoration.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius, fan forced.
- In a large heavy based fry pan, heat EVOO to a medium heat, soften onions whist stirring to ensure even caramelisation. Add stock powder, water and stevia and stir until dissolved. Simmer until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- While the onions are caramelizing, in a large bowl mix the mince, eggs and dried herbs and spices together until just combined and set aside.
- Allow onions to cool to room temperature before stirring through the mince mixture.
- Place an even amount of mince on each sheet of your pastry sheets and knead into long sausage shape in the centre across the length. Place a small amount or egg wash on the inside top of the sheet of pastry in a line, this will act as glue to seal the roll shut. Fold the bottom of the pastry sheet up and over the filling and then the top of the pastry sheet down to overlap it by approximately 1cm. Gently press the pastry together to form a seal.
- On a lined baking tray, place the sausage rolls, sealed side down on the tray. Brush them all with egg wash thoroughly to gain even golden colour.
- Gently press poppy or sesame seeds in a line down the middle. If smaller sizes are desired gently but firmly cut to size with a sharp knife and leave a gap between each roll on the tray.
- Place sausage rolls in the oven for 30minutes, or until meat is cooked through and pastry is golden.
- Serve hot with your favourite sauce or they are just as tasty cold in lunchboxes.
- Once carmelised, the weight of the onions is reduced to below 500g (468g).
- Dried ingredients negate the need for breadcrumbs in terms of aiding binding of mince mixture.
- Twice the amount of beef mince can be used to substitute the pork – in fact any of your favourite mince (chicken, turkey, veal) or combination works well, you may choose to adjust herb ratios however.
- Cutting the filled pastry into desired lengths is easier than filling pre-cut pastry.
- Grain free option could substitute pastry with cabbage leaves or lettuce cups – but would require stir-frying mince in balls first.
- Gluten free
- Grain free, optional
- Low Fructose / Minimal sugar
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...