Charcoal BBQ Baby SquidMatt Sinclair
- 1kg Baby squid, cleaned
- ½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Malay curry powder
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- ½ bunch fresh coriander
- 2-3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 125ml white vinegar
- 70g caster sugar
- 40g green chilli, roughly chopped
- 12g salt
- ¼ Cucumber, roughly chopped
- Lemongrass, white part only, outer layers removed, thinly sliced
- Green Birdseye chilli, finely sliced
- Heat coals ahead of time, until white.
- Combine the oil, curry powder, fish sauce and garlic in a bowl and mix until the curry powder has dissolved. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. Marinade the squid in a non-reactive bowl, making sure to coat it evenly in the sauce, for a minimum of ½ hour.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients together in a blender and blitz to combine. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Add the sliced lemongrass and Birdseye chillies and set aside in a dipping bowl until required.
- Lay the squid on the grill on top of the coals and bbq for 3-4 minutes, turning often to get even colour. Charred bits are definitely okay! Remove onto a chopping board and cut into bite-sized chunks and transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and spring onion and serve the dipping sauce on the side. Serve hot.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Vermentino.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...