Charcoal BBQ Baby SquidMatt Sinclair
- 1kg Baby squid, cleaned
- ½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Malay curry powder
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- ½ bunch fresh coriander
- 2-3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 125ml white vinegar
- 70g caster sugar
- 40g green chilli, roughly chopped
- 12g salt
- ¼ Cucumber, roughly chopped
- Lemongrass, white part only, outer layers removed, thinly sliced
- Green Birdseye chilli, finely sliced
- Heat coals ahead of time, until white.
- Combine the oil, curry powder, fish sauce and garlic in a bowl and mix until the curry powder has dissolved. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. Marinade the squid in a non-reactive bowl, making sure to coat it evenly in the sauce, for a minimum of ½ hour.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients together in a blender and blitz to combine. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Add the sliced lemongrass and Birdseye chillies and set aside in a dipping bowl until required.
- Lay the squid on the grill on top of the coals and bbq for 3-4 minutes, turning often to get even colour. Charred bits are definitely okay! Remove onto a chopping board and cut into bite-sized chunks and transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and spring onion and serve the dipping sauce on the side. Serve hot.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Vermentino.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...