Charcoal BBQ Baby SquidMatt Sinclair
- 1kg Baby squid, cleaned
- ½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Malay curry powder
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- ½ bunch fresh coriander
- 2-3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 125ml white vinegar
- 70g caster sugar
- 40g green chilli, roughly chopped
- 12g salt
- ¼ Cucumber, roughly chopped
- Lemongrass, white part only, outer layers removed, thinly sliced
- Green Birdseye chilli, finely sliced
- Heat coals ahead of time, until white.
- Combine the oil, curry powder, fish sauce and garlic in a bowl and mix until the curry powder has dissolved. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. Marinade the squid in a non-reactive bowl, making sure to coat it evenly in the sauce, for a minimum of ½ hour.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients together in a blender and blitz to combine. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Add the sliced lemongrass and Birdseye chillies and set aside in a dipping bowl until required.
- Lay the squid on the grill on top of the coals and bbq for 3-4 minutes, turning often to get even colour. Charred bits are definitely okay! Remove onto a chopping board and cut into bite-sized chunks and transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and spring onion and serve the dipping sauce on the side. Serve hot.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Vermentino.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...