Jamaican Beef PattiesMike Reid
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tbsp Madras curry powder
- 1½ tbsp ground turmeric
- Pinch salt
- 165g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp Madras curry powder
- 2½ tbsp chives, chopped
- 1½ tbsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 300g lean beef mince
- 125ml beef stock
- 1 tsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 Scotch bonnet, finely chopped
- 80g Breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the pastry, sift together the flour, curry powder, turmeric and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse sand. With the motor running, gradually add 4–6 tablespoons of ice cold water until the dough starts to come together. Add just enough water to bind the dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film. Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook for about 5–10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, curry powder, chives and thyme. Leave to cook for another minute, until the aromas are released. Add the minced beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and allow it to brown all over for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, sugar and scotch bonnet hot sauce, bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Cover the pan with a lid and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the bread, return the lid to the pan and let the mixture continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, season with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out with a flour-dusted rolling pin onto a large sheet of greaseproof paper to a thickness of about 3mm. Cut out six circles from the pastry, using a side plate as a guide for the sizing.
- Divide the filling between the six circles, spooning the mixture on to one half of each pastry circle and leaving space around the edge to allow for sealing the pastry. Wet the edges of the pastry and fold the non-filled half of the pastry over the filled half and use a fork to press down all around the edges.
- Place the patties on a baking tray, brush with the egg and bake for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and cooked through.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...