Lo Mai GaiMatt Sinclair
- 200gm Glutinous rice, soaked overnight, or minimum 3 hours
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 500gm Pork mince
- 1 tin red curry paste (Maesri brand)
- 2tsp Caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Pinch salt
- 2 banana leaves, cut into 20x20cm squares
- 150ml coconut cream
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced lengthways (2-inch)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat until it shimmers. Add the pork mince and fry off, moving constantly for 3-4 minutes until almost cooked. Add in the red curry paste and fry off, mixing and combining with the pork for a further 2-3 minutes. Season with fish sauce, sugar, pepper and salt and adjust to taste if needed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine an equal amount of soaked rice and cooked pork and fold together. Lay out about 1/2 cup of mixture in the centre of each banana leaf and spread out to about ½ inch thickness. Fold in the sides to cover and wrap up the mixture in a parcel. Secure the banana leaf with an elastic band or string. ** Note: To soften the banana leaves before filling, gently wave over a heat/flame, this will make it easier to fold.
- Place into the bamboo steamer and cook undisturbed for approximately 30 minutes or until rice is cooked through. Remove from the steamer and serve open in the banana leaf. Season the coconut cream with a little pinch of salt, mix together and drizzle over the rice. Garnish with fresh coriander, spring onion, shredded kaffir lime leaves and Birdseye chillies. Serve warm.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Trebbiano.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...