Lo Mai GaiMatt Sinclair
- 200gm Glutinous rice, soaked overnight, or minimum 3 hours
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 500gm Pork mince
- 1 tin red curry paste (Maesri brand)
- 2tsp Caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Pinch salt
- 2 banana leaves, cut into 20x20cm squares
- 150ml coconut cream
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced lengthways (2-inch)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat until it shimmers. Add the pork mince and fry off, moving constantly for 3-4 minutes until almost cooked. Add in the red curry paste and fry off, mixing and combining with the pork for a further 2-3 minutes. Season with fish sauce, sugar, pepper and salt and adjust to taste if needed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine an equal amount of soaked rice and cooked pork and fold together. Lay out about 1/2 cup of mixture in the centre of each banana leaf and spread out to about ½ inch thickness. Fold in the sides to cover and wrap up the mixture in a parcel. Secure the banana leaf with an elastic band or string. ** Note: To soften the banana leaves before filling, gently wave over a heat/flame, this will make it easier to fold.
- Place into the bamboo steamer and cook undisturbed for approximately 30 minutes or until rice is cooked through. Remove from the steamer and serve open in the banana leaf. Season the coconut cream with a little pinch of salt, mix together and drizzle over the rice. Garnish with fresh coriander, spring onion, shredded kaffir lime leaves and Birdseye chillies. Serve warm.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Trebbiano.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...