Lo Mai GaiMatt Sinclair
- 200gm Glutinous rice, soaked overnight, or minimum 3 hours
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 500gm Pork mince
- 1 tin red curry paste (Maesri brand)
- 2tsp Caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Pinch salt
- 2 banana leaves, cut into 20x20cm squares
- 150ml coconut cream
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced lengthways (2-inch)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat until it shimmers. Add the pork mince and fry off, moving constantly for 3-4 minutes until almost cooked. Add in the red curry paste and fry off, mixing and combining with the pork for a further 2-3 minutes. Season with fish sauce, sugar, pepper and salt and adjust to taste if needed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine an equal amount of soaked rice and cooked pork and fold together. Lay out about 1/2 cup of mixture in the centre of each banana leaf and spread out to about ½ inch thickness. Fold in the sides to cover and wrap up the mixture in a parcel. Secure the banana leaf with an elastic band or string. ** Note: To soften the banana leaves before filling, gently wave over a heat/flame, this will make it easier to fold.
- Place into the bamboo steamer and cook undisturbed for approximately 30 minutes or until rice is cooked through. Remove from the steamer and serve open in the banana leaf. Season the coconut cream with a little pinch of salt, mix together and drizzle over the rice. Garnish with fresh coriander, spring onion, shredded kaffir lime leaves and Birdseye chillies. Serve warm.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Trebbiano.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...