Pad Kra PowMatt Sinclair
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 3 red birdseye chillies
- 500gm beef mince
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml oyster sauce
- 40gm caster sugar
- 2gm ground white pepper
- 100ml water or salt reduced chicken stock
- 100gm diced green beans (snake beans if available)
- 2 Large handfuls Holy (Thai) basil
- Steamed rice
- Crispy shallots
- 1 fried egg per serve
- Heat oil in a pan or wok over a high heat. Fry off the garlic, ginger and chillies for a moment, moving constantly to avoid any colouration. Break up the beef mince into smaller pieces and add to the wok. Stir fry the beef for a further minute, moving constantly until just cooked.
- Season with fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and pepper to taste. Add the water or stock and allow to simmer for a moment, moving around the wok to evenly coat in the sauce – avoid the beef boiling or stewing for too long, this will cause the meat to toughen.
- Once a sauce has formed, add in the green beans and Holy basil. Toss through to coat and remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings if required. Serve immediately topped with a fried egg and crispy shallots and steamed rice on the side.
- The sauce should have an even balance of richness with sweet, salty and spicy flavours.
- The seasoning amounts in this dish are quite intense (very authentic to Thai cuisine and Matt’s preference), however can be altered to soften in intensity to suit the ‘everyday’ palate.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...