Pad Kra PowMatt Sinclair
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 3 red birdseye chillies
- 500gm beef mince
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml oyster sauce
- 40gm caster sugar
- 2gm ground white pepper
- 100ml water or salt reduced chicken stock
- 100gm diced green beans (snake beans if available)
- 2 Large handfuls Holy (Thai) basil
- Steamed rice
- Crispy shallots
- 1 fried egg per serve
- Heat oil in a pan or wok over a high heat. Fry off the garlic, ginger and chillies for a moment, moving constantly to avoid any colouration. Break up the beef mince into smaller pieces and add to the wok. Stir fry the beef for a further minute, moving constantly until just cooked.
- Season with fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and pepper to taste. Add the water or stock and allow to simmer for a moment, moving around the wok to evenly coat in the sauce – avoid the beef boiling or stewing for too long, this will cause the meat to toughen.
- Once a sauce has formed, add in the green beans and Holy basil. Toss through to coat and remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings if required. Serve immediately topped with a fried egg and crispy shallots and steamed rice on the side.
- The sauce should have an even balance of richness with sweet, salty and spicy flavours.
- The seasoning amounts in this dish are quite intense (very authentic to Thai cuisine and Matt’s preference), however can be altered to soften in intensity to suit the ‘everyday’ palate.
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...