Pad Kra PowMatt Sinclair
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
- 3 red birdseye chillies
- 500gm beef mince
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml oyster sauce
- 40gm caster sugar
- 2gm ground white pepper
- 100ml water or salt reduced chicken stock
- 100gm diced green beans (snake beans if available)
- 2 Large handfuls Holy (Thai) basil
- Steamed rice
- Crispy shallots
- 1 fried egg per serve
- Heat oil in a pan or wok over a high heat. Fry off the garlic, ginger and chillies for a moment, moving constantly to avoid any colouration. Break up the beef mince into smaller pieces and add to the wok. Stir fry the beef for a further minute, moving constantly until just cooked.
- Season with fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and pepper to taste. Add the water or stock and allow to simmer for a moment, moving around the wok to evenly coat in the sauce – avoid the beef boiling or stewing for too long, this will cause the meat to toughen.
- Once a sauce has formed, add in the green beans and Holy basil. Toss through to coat and remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings if required. Serve immediately topped with a fried egg and crispy shallots and steamed rice on the side.
- The sauce should have an even balance of richness with sweet, salty and spicy flavours.
- The seasoning amounts in this dish are quite intense (very authentic to Thai cuisine and Matt’s preference), however can be altered to soften in intensity to suit the ‘everyday’ palate.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...