Pork AdoboMatt Sinclair
- 1 kg pork belly, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges or chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Add the pork belly to a non-reactive bowl and coat evenly with vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and peppercorns. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Drain the pork, keeping the marinade aside. Cook the pork in batches for 3-4 minutes, until lightly golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a plate.
- Return the pan to a medium heat and add the remaining oil if required (may be plenty remaining from the pork). Fry off the onions, stirring often for about 5 minutes. Return the pork to the pan along with the reserved marinade, 1 cup of water and the bay leaves. Season with salt and bring to a light simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 40 minutes – 1 hour. Add the sugar and adjust seasoning to taste with extra vinegar, salt or sugar if required.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce has thickened. Serve with steamed rice and garnish with the chopped spring onion.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...