Pork AdoboMatt Sinclair
- 1 kg pork belly, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges or chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Add the pork belly to a non-reactive bowl and coat evenly with vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and peppercorns. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Drain the pork, keeping the marinade aside. Cook the pork in batches for 3-4 minutes, until lightly golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a plate.
- Return the pan to a medium heat and add the remaining oil if required (may be plenty remaining from the pork). Fry off the onions, stirring often for about 5 minutes. Return the pork to the pan along with the reserved marinade, 1 cup of water and the bay leaves. Season with salt and bring to a light simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 40 minutes – 1 hour. Add the sugar and adjust seasoning to taste with extra vinegar, salt or sugar if required.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce has thickened. Serve with steamed rice and garnish with the chopped spring onion.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...