Red Duck CurryElena Duggan
- 1 duck – broken down into at least 8 parts, reserve bones
- 1 serve Red Curry Paste
- 500g Chicken stock
- 1 large Onion, sliced into crescents
- 1 can Coconut cream, maximum % coconut
- 250g Pineapple, cut into pieces (if using canned – drained, halved reserve juice to season)
- 250g Cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 250g Lychee flesh, (if using canned – drained, halved reserve juice to season)
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Thai basil, leaves only
- Coriander, leaves only, reserve roots and stems for paste
- Steamed jasmine rice
- Extra herbs of above
- 2 Limes, halved
- Sliced red chili
Extra Fancy Garnish
- Lotus root sliced, frozen and well drained
- Reserved duck fat
- Salt to taste
- To prepare the duck, place pieces skin side down in a cold, large non-stick fry pan. Gently increase the heat to medium to render the fat. Drain fat and reserve in a heatproof bowl. Duck can be turned to ensure all sides are caramelised, remove breast meat first, meat with bones can have an additional 3-5minutes. Duck will be cooked again in curry sauce, so if not cooked through, this is okay – the main purpose is to render and remove fat and seal all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To prepare the curry base, place paste in a large non-stick fry pan and simmer whilst stirring for up to 10minutes or until fragrant and caramelised. Deglaze with chicken stock and simmer over low for additional 5-10minutes.
- While curry sauce is simmering, heat the rendered duck fat to medium in a small fry pan and fry the lotus slices until golden in colour. Strain well and season with salt, lotus chips with crisp further on cooling. Set aside for garnish.
- Return duck pieces to curry sauce along with onion and coconut cream. Simmer for up 10minutes or until duck is cooked through – you can inspect a thicker piece with a bone in but slicing open if you’re uncertain.
- Place half the pineapple, half the tomatoes and half the lychees to the curry and stir through. Heat for a further 2-5minutes.
- Serve duck curry in a large share bowl, garnish with remaining fruit, herbs and lotus chips.
- Gluten free
- Grain free – substitute rice for quinoa or cauliflower rice or mashed potato
- Refined sugar free
- Dairy free
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...