Reuban SambosMatt Sinclair
- 8 large slices Rye Bread
- 600g shaved corned beef
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved diagonally
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ sugarloaf cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 ½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra
- 1 ½ Tbsp White wine vinegar
- White Pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp horseradish cream
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Combine the mayo, sriracha, Worcestershire, horseradish cream and paprika in a bowl and mix well to combine. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice and adjust flavours where needed. Sauce should be creamy, tangy and have just enough spice. Set aside until required. *Can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
- To make the kupus salad, place the shredded cabbage in a bowl and drizzle with about 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil. Season to taste with vinegar, salt and white pepper and set aside to soften and infuse. Taste and adjust seasoning if required before serving. *Kupus should have a good balance of tang and salt and will reduce in size.
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Lay out 4 of the slices, butter-side down and top with shaved corned beef. Top the beef with 3 halves of cheese each.
- Heat approximately 1 Tbsp of oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat. Place a piece of bread with topping, and one without topping in the pan, butter-side down. Fry for about 5 minutes until the bottoms are golden and crisp. Remove to a chopping board, top the beef and cheese side with red onion, a generous serve of kupus salad, and dollop the dressing over the top. Spread a bit of dressing on the other piece of bread and combine with the other to make the perfect Reuban sandwich. Cut in half and serve immediately.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Chenin Blanc.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...