Reuban SambosMatt Sinclair
- 8 large slices Rye Bread
- 600g shaved corned beef
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved diagonally
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ sugarloaf cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1 ½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra
- 1 ½ Tbsp White wine vinegar
- White Pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp horseradish cream
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Combine the mayo, sriracha, Worcestershire, horseradish cream and paprika in a bowl and mix well to combine. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice and adjust flavours where needed. Sauce should be creamy, tangy and have just enough spice. Set aside until required. *Can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
- To make the kupus salad, place the shredded cabbage in a bowl and drizzle with about 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil. Season to taste with vinegar, salt and white pepper and set aside to soften and infuse. Taste and adjust seasoning if required before serving. *Kupus should have a good balance of tang and salt and will reduce in size.
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Lay out 4 of the slices, butter-side down and top with shaved corned beef. Top the beef with 3 halves of cheese each.
- Heat approximately 1 Tbsp of oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat. Place a piece of bread with topping, and one without topping in the pan, butter-side down. Fry for about 5 minutes until the bottoms are golden and crisp. Remove to a chopping board, top the beef and cheese side with red onion, a generous serve of kupus salad, and dollop the dressing over the top. Spread a bit of dressing on the other piece of bread and combine with the other to make the perfect Reuban sandwich. Cut in half and serve immediately.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Chenin Blanc.
Ingredients: 2 cup caster sugar 2 cups soy sauce 1 cup shao-hsing wine 3L water 2 inch piece ginger 8 cloves garlic 6 spring onions, 5cm batons 8 star anise 8 coriander seeds 4 cinnamon quills 4 cloves 2 pork trotters Method: Place an even layer of sugar in a large...
Ingredients: 2 cups of black-eyed beans 1 bunch of English spinach (or baby spinach, if preferred), Roughly chopped and thoroughly washed 6 spring onions, finely chopped 1 onion, sliced 1/2 cup of olive oil 1 tbsp white wine vinegar juice of 1 lemon a few sprigs of...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes and Big4 Holiday Parks Assortment of Sausages 100ml Mayonnaise ½ bulb of roasted black garlic ½ lemon juiced Long metal skewers Method: Grill your sausages on your bbq until...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian InspirationsSalmon: 200g Fresh Australian salmon, skin on, pin bones removed 50ml Vegetable oil Miso Glaze: 50g White miso paste 50ml Obento Mirin Seasoning 50g Sugar Togarashi Crackers: 1 each...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra 1 brown onion, finely grated 2 cloves garlic, finely grated 1g saffron threads 400g Arborio Rice ½ cup dry white wine 1.5 Litres Vegetable stock 50g unsalted butter 125g parmesan, finely grated Method:...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...