Smoked Tofu and Broccoli Korean Style Ram-DonMike Reid
- 200g udon noodles
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- ½ tbsp cornflour
- ½ tbsp rapeseed oil
- 100g smoked tofu, drained, rinsed in cold water and cut into 2cm
- 100g firm tofu, drained and cut into 2cm
- 50g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- 75g long stem broccoli, florets sliced lengthways
- 1 tbsp vegetarian mushroom sauce
- 1 tbsp clear rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp tamari
- 1 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced on the angle
Noodle Seasoning (per bowl)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Furikake, sprinkle for garnish
- Place the garlic, ginger, shallots and red chillies in a small food processor and blend to form a paste.
- Mix the cornflour in a small bowl or cup with 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry. Set aside until needed.
- Heat a wok over a high heat until smoking and add the grapeseed oil. Once hot, add the shallot paste and cook, stirring for a few seconds until fragrant. Add both kinds of tofu and the mushrooms. Season with the rice wine and dark soy sauce and toss together well for 1–2 minutes, or until all the ingredients are coated.
- Add the broccoli and cook, tossing, for 1 minute. Stir in the mushroom sauce, rice vinegar and tamari. Pour in the reserved cornflour slurry to thicken the cooking juices in the wok and toss to mix well. Let the sauce cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute to enrichen and reduce in volume a little.
- Place a ladleful of the tofu, mushroom and broccoli mixture on one side of the noodles in each bowl, and top with the sliced spring onion.
- For the noodle seasoning, dress each bowl of noodles by drizzling over the dark soy sauce. chilli oil, tahini and sweet chilli sauce, followed by a generous sprinkle of shichimi togarashi pepper flakes. Serve immediately, and just before eating, mix all the ingredients well.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Gamay.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...