Spinach and Ricotta DumplingsMatt Sinclair
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g tins of crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil, leaves picked
- Sea salt
- 250g frozen spinach
- 375g fresh ricotta
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 100g rocket
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 lemon
- Place a heavy based saucepan over a high heat. Heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic to the saucepan and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add dried oregano, crushed tomatoes and picked basil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Drain the thawed spinach and squeeze out excess liquid. Place in a large bowl with ricotta, parmesan, eggs, flour and nutmeg and combine well with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Using 2 dessert spoons create small balls/dumplings out of the spinach and ricotta mix. Drop them into the sugo sauce, spreading them around the saucepan evenly, ensuring they are slightly submerged. Reduce to a low heat and place the lid on. Allow the dumplings to poach for approximately 10 minutes.
- Dress the rocket and onion with fresh lemon juice and a touch of olive oil. Distribute the sauce and dumplings into bowls, top with dressed rocket and onion and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Fiano.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...