Steak with Pepper SauceMatt Sinclair
- 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak
- Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper
- 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
- 2-3 Tbsp oyster sauce
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 spring onion, finely chopped
- 100ml cream
- Preheat a BBQ grill or hotplate on high.
- Remove the steak from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking. Season both sides generously with sea salt. BBQ the steak to your personal preference – avoid moving it once it is on the hot plate and turn once. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while it rests for half of the cooking time.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil and butter in a pan over a medium-high heat until shimmering and foaming. Add the onion and garlic and fry off, moving often for about a minute before adding the chilli flakes, herbs, pepper and stock cube powder. Toss through to combine and cook for another minute. Pour over the oyster sauce and mix together. Cook for a few minutes to reduce a little.
- Remove from the heat and toss through the parsley and spring onions. Pour in the cream and whisk to combine. Return to a lower heat for a minute to warm through. Adjust to taste.
- Serve the steak whole as individual meals, or slice and serve on a shar platter. Spoon over the pepper sauce and serve hot.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Cabernet Shiraz Blend.
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms 200g Fillet Steak, cooked on a bbq or pan to your liking. 50g peas 50g small broad beans 1 spring onions, thinly sliced Small handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped Small handful fresh...