Tom Yum MusselsMatt Sinclair
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors
- 1 Litre Chicken stock
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white part only, bruised
- 1-inch piece Galangal, thinly sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 3 green Birdseye chillies, chopped
- 2 Golden shallots (eschalot), peeled and sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2cm fresh turmeric, finely sliced
- 2kg Mussels, cleaned/debearded
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce, to taste
- 2-4 Tbsp lime juice, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh coriander stems and leaves, roughly chopped (cleaned coriander root can be added to the stock in step one)
- Place the stock, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, chillies, shallots, cherry tomatoes and turmeric into a large pot over a medium heat and bring to a light boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes to infuse the flavours. Season to taste with fish sauce and lime juice.
- Place a larger pot or wok over a high heat. When the wok is very hot, add the cleaned mussels and cover with a lid to steam for about 20 seconds. Take the lid off and pour the hot broth over the mussels straight away. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. *Be careful not to over salt the broth with fish sauce initially as there will be some salt water released from the mussels.
- Divide into serving bowls and garnish with fresh coriander. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Gewurztraminer.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...