Tom Yum MusselsMatt Sinclair
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors
- 1 Litre Chicken stock
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white part only, bruised
- 1-inch piece Galangal, thinly sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 3 green Birdseye chillies, chopped
- 2 Golden shallots (eschalot), peeled and sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2cm fresh turmeric, finely sliced
- 2kg Mussels, cleaned/debearded
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce, to taste
- 2-4 Tbsp lime juice, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh coriander stems and leaves, roughly chopped (cleaned coriander root can be added to the stock in step one)
- Place the stock, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, chillies, shallots, cherry tomatoes and turmeric into a large pot over a medium heat and bring to a light boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes to infuse the flavours. Season to taste with fish sauce and lime juice.
- Place a larger pot or wok over a high heat. When the wok is very hot, add the cleaned mussels and cover with a lid to steam for about 20 seconds. Take the lid off and pour the hot broth over the mussels straight away. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. *Be careful not to over salt the broth with fish sauce initially as there will be some salt water released from the mussels.
- Divide into serving bowls and garnish with fresh coriander. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Gewurztraminer.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...