Tom Yum MusselsMatt Sinclair
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors
- 1 Litre Chicken stock
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white part only, bruised
- 1-inch piece Galangal, thinly sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 3 green Birdseye chillies, chopped
- 2 Golden shallots (eschalot), peeled and sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2cm fresh turmeric, finely sliced
- 2kg Mussels, cleaned/debearded
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce, to taste
- 2-4 Tbsp lime juice, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh coriander stems and leaves, roughly chopped (cleaned coriander root can be added to the stock in step one)
- Place the stock, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, chillies, shallots, cherry tomatoes and turmeric into a large pot over a medium heat and bring to a light boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes to infuse the flavours. Season to taste with fish sauce and lime juice.
- Place a larger pot or wok over a high heat. When the wok is very hot, add the cleaned mussels and cover with a lid to steam for about 20 seconds. Take the lid off and pour the hot broth over the mussels straight away. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. *Be careful not to over salt the broth with fish sauce initially as there will be some salt water released from the mussels.
- Divide into serving bowls and garnish with fresh coriander. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Gewurztraminer.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...