Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Kaffir South SideMatt Sinclair
- 1 packet rice paper wrappers
- 500g Pork mince
- 150g wood ear mushrooms, pre-soaked then strained, roughly chopped
- 150g Vermicelli noodles, softened, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 Butter or Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- ½ bunch Shiso or Perilla leaves, picked
- ½ bunch Vietnamese Mint, leaves picked
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, mushrooms, noodles, garlic, egg and seasonings and mix well to combine.
- Prepare the spring rolls by dipping a rice paper wrapper in cold water to soften slightly and lay it out onto a clean work bench. Place about 2 Tbsp of pork mixture on the bottom third of the wrapper, fold the bottom half over the mixture, fold the sides into the centre and roll up to enclose the filling. Set aside and continue with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Place all Nuoc Cham ingredients in a bowl and gently whisk to combine, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside until required.
- Heat fryer to 180C. Fry the spring rolls in batches for 5-8 minutes or until the outer skin is glassy, blistered and golden in parts. Drain off excess oil, transfer to a wire rack to cool and season with salt. Repeat with remaining spring rolls. Cut in half to serve. *Do not overcrowd the fryer as the spring rolls easily stick together.
- To assemble, place a perilla leaf and some Vietnamese mint inside the cup of a lettuce leaf and top with a spring roll, enclose and dip into the Nuoc Cham. Serve fresh.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...