Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Kaffir South SideMatt Sinclair
- 1 packet rice paper wrappers
- 500g Pork mince
- 150g wood ear mushrooms, pre-soaked then strained, roughly chopped
- 150g Vermicelli noodles, softened, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 Butter or Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- ½ bunch Shiso or Perilla leaves, picked
- ½ bunch Vietnamese Mint, leaves picked
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, mushrooms, noodles, garlic, egg and seasonings and mix well to combine.
- Prepare the spring rolls by dipping a rice paper wrapper in cold water to soften slightly and lay it out onto a clean work bench. Place about 2 Tbsp of pork mixture on the bottom third of the wrapper, fold the bottom half over the mixture, fold the sides into the centre and roll up to enclose the filling. Set aside and continue with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Place all Nuoc Cham ingredients in a bowl and gently whisk to combine, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside until required.
- Heat fryer to 180C. Fry the spring rolls in batches for 5-8 minutes or until the outer skin is glassy, blistered and golden in parts. Drain off excess oil, transfer to a wire rack to cool and season with salt. Repeat with remaining spring rolls. Cut in half to serve. *Do not overcrowd the fryer as the spring rolls easily stick together.
- To assemble, place a perilla leaf and some Vietnamese mint inside the cup of a lettuce leaf and top with a spring roll, enclose and dip into the Nuoc Cham. Serve fresh.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...