Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Kaffir South SideMatt Sinclair
- 1 packet rice paper wrappers
- 500g Pork mince
- 150g wood ear mushrooms, pre-soaked then strained, roughly chopped
- 150g Vermicelli noodles, softened, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 Butter or Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- ½ bunch Shiso or Perilla leaves, picked
- ½ bunch Vietnamese Mint, leaves picked
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, mushrooms, noodles, garlic, egg and seasonings and mix well to combine.
- Prepare the spring rolls by dipping a rice paper wrapper in cold water to soften slightly and lay it out onto a clean work bench. Place about 2 Tbsp of pork mixture on the bottom third of the wrapper, fold the bottom half over the mixture, fold the sides into the centre and roll up to enclose the filling. Set aside and continue with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Place all Nuoc Cham ingredients in a bowl and gently whisk to combine, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside until required.
- Heat fryer to 180C. Fry the spring rolls in batches for 5-8 minutes or until the outer skin is glassy, blistered and golden in parts. Drain off excess oil, transfer to a wire rack to cool and season with salt. Repeat with remaining spring rolls. Cut in half to serve. *Do not overcrowd the fryer as the spring rolls easily stick together.
- To assemble, place a perilla leaf and some Vietnamese mint inside the cup of a lettuce leaf and top with a spring roll, enclose and dip into the Nuoc Cham. Serve fresh.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...