Beef PieElena Duggan
- 1.5kg Diced beef chuck
- 2 Brown onions
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g Diced streaky bacon
- 500g Sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 x 400g Tins of tomatoes
- 400ml dry cooking red wine
- 500ml Beef stock
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- Sesame seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ bunch of oregano
- Butter (for greasing pan)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- In a heavy cast iron pot, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to your liking. Begin to brown off beef, be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Once all beef is browned, place in a bowl and set aside
- Turn the head down to medium low and cook the streaky bacon. Allow bacon to slowly cook to render out all of the bacon fat. Once rendered, set aside with the beef.
- Place onion and garlic in the pot to soften, avoid browning.
- After 10 minutes add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze the pot
- Return meat to the pot as well as tomatoes, stock, thyme and oregano. Ensure all meat is covered with liquid, if not add a bit of water.
- Place lid on pot and turn your heat to its lowest setting, simmer for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender
- Remove the lid and stir, cook for another 20 minutes until sauce has reduced and slightly thickened.
- Grease baking dish with butter and place one sheet of pastry on the bottom and trim to fit.
- Poor contents of pot into baking dish, placing another sheet of pastry on top, baste with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake on 180C for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and risen
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...