Beef PieElena Duggan
- 1.5kg Diced beef chuck
- 2 Brown onions
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g Diced streaky bacon
- 500g Sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 x 400g Tins of tomatoes
- 400ml dry cooking red wine
- 500ml Beef stock
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- Sesame seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ bunch of oregano
- Butter (for greasing pan)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- In a heavy cast iron pot, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to your liking. Begin to brown off beef, be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Once all beef is browned, place in a bowl and set aside
- Turn the head down to medium low and cook the streaky bacon. Allow bacon to slowly cook to render out all of the bacon fat. Once rendered, set aside with the beef.
- Place onion and garlic in the pot to soften, avoid browning.
- After 10 minutes add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze the pot
- Return meat to the pot as well as tomatoes, stock, thyme and oregano. Ensure all meat is covered with liquid, if not add a bit of water.
- Place lid on pot and turn your heat to its lowest setting, simmer for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender
- Remove the lid and stir, cook for another 20 minutes until sauce has reduced and slightly thickened.
- Grease baking dish with butter and place one sheet of pastry on the bottom and trim to fit.
- Poor contents of pot into baking dish, placing another sheet of pastry on top, baste with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake on 180C for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and risen
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...