Beef PieElena Duggan
- 1.5kg Diced beef chuck
- 2 Brown onions
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g Diced streaky bacon
- 500g Sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 x 400g Tins of tomatoes
- 400ml dry cooking red wine
- 500ml Beef stock
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- Sesame seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ bunch of oregano
- Butter (for greasing pan)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- In a heavy cast iron pot, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to your liking. Begin to brown off beef, be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Once all beef is browned, place in a bowl and set aside
- Turn the head down to medium low and cook the streaky bacon. Allow bacon to slowly cook to render out all of the bacon fat. Once rendered, set aside with the beef.
- Place onion and garlic in the pot to soften, avoid browning.
- After 10 minutes add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze the pot
- Return meat to the pot as well as tomatoes, stock, thyme and oregano. Ensure all meat is covered with liquid, if not add a bit of water.
- Place lid on pot and turn your heat to its lowest setting, simmer for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender
- Remove the lid and stir, cook for another 20 minutes until sauce has reduced and slightly thickened.
- Grease baking dish with butter and place one sheet of pastry on the bottom and trim to fit.
- Poor contents of pot into baking dish, placing another sheet of pastry on top, baste with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake on 180C for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and risen
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...
Ingredients: 4 roma tomatoes ½ brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, finely diced 1 tbsp chilli oil ½ cup white wine 500g goolwa pippies 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped 250g fresh taglierini or linguine 1 lemon, juice only 50g unsalted butter Sea salt flakes Black...
Ingredients: 3 cups plain flour, plus extra Salt 1 ¼ cups warm water 150ml Peanut oil, plus extra Cheese Filling: 500g ricotta cheese 100gm Greek fetta 300gm cottage cheese 300ml thickened cream 2 eggs Salt Method: Combine the cheeses in a large bowl and mix together,...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms 1 tbsp oil 225g Chicken mince 2 tbsp fish sauce 1 lime, juice only 1 tsp caster sugar 3 spring onions, finely chopped ¼ cucumber, finely diced 2 red chillies, finely sliced 1cm ginger,...
Ingredients: 6 chicken thighs 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs ½ bunch parsley 100g parmigiano cheese 2 garlic cloves Sea salt Black pepper Flour, for dusting 2 eggs Method: Blitz the parsley, cheese and garlic into a fine crumb and mix through the breadcrumbs. Season with...
Ingredients: 1/2 head of cauliflower, outer leaves removed and retained, cauliflower chopped into florets. 1 clove of garlic - peeled & sliced in half 1 tsp of sultanas or raisins (optional) 6 black peppercorns 1/4 tsp turmeric 1/4 tsp curry powder 3/4 cup...