Beef PieElena Duggan
- 1.5kg Diced beef chuck
- 2 Brown onions
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g Diced streaky bacon
- 500g Sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 x 400g Tins of tomatoes
- 400ml dry cooking red wine
- 500ml Beef stock
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- Sesame seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ bunch of oregano
- Butter (for greasing pan)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- In a heavy cast iron pot, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to your liking. Begin to brown off beef, be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Once all beef is browned, place in a bowl and set aside
- Turn the head down to medium low and cook the streaky bacon. Allow bacon to slowly cook to render out all of the bacon fat. Once rendered, set aside with the beef.
- Place onion and garlic in the pot to soften, avoid browning.
- After 10 minutes add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze the pot
- Return meat to the pot as well as tomatoes, stock, thyme and oregano. Ensure all meat is covered with liquid, if not add a bit of water.
- Place lid on pot and turn your heat to its lowest setting, simmer for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender
- Remove the lid and stir, cook for another 20 minutes until sauce has reduced and slightly thickened.
- Grease baking dish with butter and place one sheet of pastry on the bottom and trim to fit.
- Poor contents of pot into baking dish, placing another sheet of pastry on top, baste with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake on 180C for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden and risen
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...