Black Eyed Peas with SpinachKathy Tsaples
- 2 cups of black-eyed beans
- 1 bunch of English spinach (or baby spinach, if preferred),
- Roughly chopped and thoroughly washed
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- a few sprigs of dill, chopped
- 1 tsp cooking salt pepper
- In a sieve, wash your beans thoroughly and then throw them into a pan filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and discard the water. Rinse the beans again.
- Fill the pot with cold water again and cook the beans for about 30 minutes. Always check them because they don’t take long and can easily become mushy.
- In a shallow pan, sauté the onion in about half a cup of olive oil until translucent. Add the spring onions, then the washed spinach, salt and pepper.
- Put the cooked beans in a bowl, add the wilted spinach and mix using two forks so that you don’t mush them up.
- Add the lemon juice, vinegar and dill.
- At this stage, add another half cup of olive oil. Have a taste, and add more lemon juice if desired. Serve with crusty bread and feta cheese.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Merlot.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...