Caramelised Asian ChickenJacob Leung
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 small brown onions, sliced
- 800g chicken thigh, cut into 3cm pieces
- ½ cup kecap manis
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 knobs ginger, julienned
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 fresh chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 bunches bok choy, quartered
- Place a wok or a large frypan over a high heat. Add the peanut oil and swirl around the wok until it just begins to smoke. Working quickly add the brown onions and toss until they begin to soften. Add the chicken and cook until golden on the outside.
- Add the kecap manis, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, black and white pepper, Chinese five spice and sugar. Reduce to a low heat and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, submerge the bok choy in a pot of boiling water for 90 seconds. Strain and serve with the caramelised chicken.
Note: What the heck is Kecap Manis? Glad you asked! It’s a sweet Indonesian soy sauce available from good supermarkets or your Asian grocer.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...