Caramelised Asian ChickenJacob Leung
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 small brown onions, sliced
- 800g chicken thigh, cut into 3cm pieces
- ½ cup kecap manis
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 knobs ginger, julienned
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 fresh chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 bunches bok choy, quartered
- Place a wok or a large frypan over a high heat. Add the peanut oil and swirl around the wok until it just begins to smoke. Working quickly add the brown onions and toss until they begin to soften. Add the chicken and cook until golden on the outside.
- Add the kecap manis, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, black and white pepper, Chinese five spice and sugar. Reduce to a low heat and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, submerge the bok choy in a pot of boiling water for 90 seconds. Strain and serve with the caramelised chicken.
Note: What the heck is Kecap Manis? Glad you asked! It’s a sweet Indonesian soy sauce available from good supermarkets or your Asian grocer.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...