Caramelised Asian ChickenJacob Leung
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 small brown onions, sliced
- 800g chicken thigh, cut into 3cm pieces
- ½ cup kecap manis
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 knobs ginger, julienned
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 fresh chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 bunches bok choy, quartered
- Place a wok or a large frypan over a high heat. Add the peanut oil and swirl around the wok until it just begins to smoke. Working quickly add the brown onions and toss until they begin to soften. Add the chicken and cook until golden on the outside.
- Add the kecap manis, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, black and white pepper, Chinese five spice and sugar. Reduce to a low heat and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, submerge the bok choy in a pot of boiling water for 90 seconds. Strain and serve with the caramelised chicken.
Note: What the heck is Kecap Manis? Glad you asked! It’s a sweet Indonesian soy sauce available from good supermarkets or your Asian grocer.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...