Caramelised Asian ChickenJacob Leung
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 small brown onions, sliced
- 800g chicken thigh, cut into 3cm pieces
- ½ cup kecap manis
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 2 knobs ginger, julienned
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 fresh chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 bunches bok choy, quartered
- Place a wok or a large frypan over a high heat. Add the peanut oil and swirl around the wok until it just begins to smoke. Working quickly add the brown onions and toss until they begin to soften. Add the chicken and cook until golden on the outside.
- Add the kecap manis, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, black and white pepper, Chinese five spice and sugar. Reduce to a low heat and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, submerge the bok choy in a pot of boiling water for 90 seconds. Strain and serve with the caramelised chicken.
Note: What the heck is Kecap Manis? Glad you asked! It’s a sweet Indonesian soy sauce available from good supermarkets or your Asian grocer.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...