Chorizo Alla VodkaWarren Mendes
- 200g good quality chorizo,
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (or 2 large eschallot)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 130g tube good quality tomato paste
- ½ cup grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- ½ cup vodka
- 200ml pouring cream
- 400g dried calamarata pasta or similar short pasta
- Remove the skins from the chorizo and finely chop the filling. Add to a deep frypan with the oil then place over medium heat. Once the chorizo starts to sizzle, cook for 2-3 minutes until the fat has started to render then add the onion and cook for a further 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 30 seconds then add the tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes to cook out.
- Add the vodka and cream and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid then add the pasta to the vodka sauce along with the cooking liquid.
- Add parmesan and season to taste. Serve topped with a little extra parmesan
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Montepulciano.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...