Chorizo Alla VodkaWarren Mendes
- 200g good quality chorizo,
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (or 2 large eschallot)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 130g tube good quality tomato paste
- ½ cup grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- ½ cup vodka
- 200ml pouring cream
- 400g dried calamarata pasta or similar short pasta
- Remove the skins from the chorizo and finely chop the filling. Add to a deep frypan with the oil then place over medium heat. Once the chorizo starts to sizzle, cook for 2-3 minutes until the fat has started to render then add the onion and cook for a further 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 30 seconds then add the tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes to cook out.
- Add the vodka and cream and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid then add the pasta to the vodka sauce along with the cooking liquid.
- Add parmesan and season to taste. Serve topped with a little extra parmesan
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Montepulciano.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...