Crispy Pork SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg Pork belly all bones removed
- Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1lt vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Fried shallots (available for Asian stores)
- Sliced fresh red chilies
- 100gm Palm sugar
- 50ml Fish sauce
- 50ml Oyster sauce
- 3 coriander roots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1tsp white peppercorns
- 1 star anise, roasted and ground
- Red onion
- ½ bunch Mint leaves picked
- 1 Coriander leaves picked
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 birds eyes chillies
- 1.5 Tbsp lime juice
- 1Tbsp fish sauce
- Pinch of white sugar
- Rub pork belly in soy sauce, cover and marinate overnight
- Steam pork belly for 1 hour until soft in a bamboo steamer. Cut into small squares around 3cm by 3cm.
- Make your paste by combining everything in a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. Add a little water if it’s too dry to blend. Set aside.
- Make caramel by melting Palm sugar with a little water. Bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar and cook for about 5 minutes then remove from the heat and add oyster and fish sauces. Set aside.
- Make dressing by blending in a food processor or jug blender and set aside.
- Cut cucumber length ways and remove seeds. Cut into thin slices on an angle. Peel and slice red onion as fine as you can. Make a salad with the herbs, cucumber, onions and dressing and arrange ½ on a plate/platter.
- In a wok heat the vegetable oil Deep fry pork squares until crispy, then drain well on paper towel.
- In a nonstick pan heat some oil/coconut oil and fry off paste until fragrant. Add the caramel to this and bring to the boil then place the pork in, the pork only needs to be coated as if it stays in the caramel too long it will lose its crispness.
- Scatter the pork over the salad and then the remaining salad over the pork sprinkle with fried shallots and sliced chilli.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...