Crispy Pork SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg Pork belly all bones removed
- Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1lt vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Fried shallots (available for Asian stores)
- Sliced fresh red chilies
- 100gm Palm sugar
- 50ml Fish sauce
- 50ml Oyster sauce
- 3 coriander roots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1tsp white peppercorns
- 1 star anise, roasted and ground
- Red onion
- ½ bunch Mint leaves picked
- 1 Coriander leaves picked
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 birds eyes chillies
- 1.5 Tbsp lime juice
- 1Tbsp fish sauce
- Pinch of white sugar
- Rub pork belly in soy sauce, cover and marinate overnight
- Steam pork belly for 1 hour until soft in a bamboo steamer. Cut into small squares around 3cm by 3cm.
- Make your paste by combining everything in a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. Add a little water if it’s too dry to blend. Set aside.
- Make caramel by melting Palm sugar with a little water. Bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar and cook for about 5 minutes then remove from the heat and add oyster and fish sauces. Set aside.
- Make dressing by blending in a food processor or jug blender and set aside.
- Cut cucumber length ways and remove seeds. Cut into thin slices on an angle. Peel and slice red onion as fine as you can. Make a salad with the herbs, cucumber, onions and dressing and arrange ½ on a plate/platter.
- In a wok heat the vegetable oil Deep fry pork squares until crispy, then drain well on paper towel.
- In a nonstick pan heat some oil/coconut oil and fry off paste until fragrant. Add the caramel to this and bring to the boil then place the pork in, the pork only needs to be coated as if it stays in the caramel too long it will lose its crispness.
- Scatter the pork over the salad and then the remaining salad over the pork sprinkle with fried shallots and sliced chilli.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...