Crispy Pork SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg Pork belly all bones removed
- Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1lt vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Fried shallots (available for Asian stores)
- Sliced fresh red chilies
- 100gm Palm sugar
- 50ml Fish sauce
- 50ml Oyster sauce
- 3 coriander roots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1tsp white peppercorns
- 1 star anise, roasted and ground
- Red onion
- ½ bunch Mint leaves picked
- 1 Coriander leaves picked
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 birds eyes chillies
- 1.5 Tbsp lime juice
- 1Tbsp fish sauce
- Pinch of white sugar
- Rub pork belly in soy sauce, cover and marinate overnight
- Steam pork belly for 1 hour until soft in a bamboo steamer. Cut into small squares around 3cm by 3cm.
- Make your paste by combining everything in a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. Add a little water if it’s too dry to blend. Set aside.
- Make caramel by melting Palm sugar with a little water. Bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar and cook for about 5 minutes then remove from the heat and add oyster and fish sauces. Set aside.
- Make dressing by blending in a food processor or jug blender and set aside.
- Cut cucumber length ways and remove seeds. Cut into thin slices on an angle. Peel and slice red onion as fine as you can. Make a salad with the herbs, cucumber, onions and dressing and arrange ½ on a plate/platter.
- In a wok heat the vegetable oil Deep fry pork squares until crispy, then drain well on paper towel.
- In a nonstick pan heat some oil/coconut oil and fry off paste until fragrant. Add the caramel to this and bring to the boil then place the pork in, the pork only needs to be coated as if it stays in the caramel too long it will lose its crispness.
- Scatter the pork over the salad and then the remaining salad over the pork sprinkle with fried shallots and sliced chilli.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...