Crispy Pork SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg Pork belly all bones removed
- Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1lt vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Fried shallots (available for Asian stores)
- Sliced fresh red chilies
- 100gm Palm sugar
- 50ml Fish sauce
- 50ml Oyster sauce
- 3 coriander roots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1tsp white peppercorns
- 1 star anise, roasted and ground
- Red onion
- ½ bunch Mint leaves picked
- 1 Coriander leaves picked
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 birds eyes chillies
- 1.5 Tbsp lime juice
- 1Tbsp fish sauce
- Pinch of white sugar
- Rub pork belly in soy sauce, cover and marinate overnight
- Steam pork belly for 1 hour until soft in a bamboo steamer. Cut into small squares around 3cm by 3cm.
- Make your paste by combining everything in a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. Add a little water if it’s too dry to blend. Set aside.
- Make caramel by melting Palm sugar with a little water. Bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar and cook for about 5 minutes then remove from the heat and add oyster and fish sauces. Set aside.
- Make dressing by blending in a food processor or jug blender and set aside.
- Cut cucumber length ways and remove seeds. Cut into thin slices on an angle. Peel and slice red onion as fine as you can. Make a salad with the herbs, cucumber, onions and dressing and arrange ½ on a plate/platter.
- In a wok heat the vegetable oil Deep fry pork squares until crispy, then drain well on paper towel.
- In a nonstick pan heat some oil/coconut oil and fry off paste until fragrant. Add the caramel to this and bring to the boil then place the pork in, the pork only needs to be coated as if it stays in the caramel too long it will lose its crispness.
- Scatter the pork over the salad and then the remaining salad over the pork sprinkle with fried shallots and sliced chilli.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...