Crispy Pork SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg Pork belly all bones removed
- Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1lt vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Fried shallots (available for Asian stores)
- Sliced fresh red chilies
- 100gm Palm sugar
- 50ml Fish sauce
- 50ml Oyster sauce
- 3 coriander roots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1tsp white peppercorns
- 1 star anise, roasted and ground
- Red onion
- ½ bunch Mint leaves picked
- 1 Coriander leaves picked
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 birds eyes chillies
- 1.5 Tbsp lime juice
- 1Tbsp fish sauce
- Pinch of white sugar
- Rub pork belly in soy sauce, cover and marinate overnight
- Steam pork belly for 1 hour until soft in a bamboo steamer. Cut into small squares around 3cm by 3cm.
- Make your paste by combining everything in a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. Add a little water if it’s too dry to blend. Set aside.
- Make caramel by melting Palm sugar with a little water. Bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar and cook for about 5 minutes then remove from the heat and add oyster and fish sauces. Set aside.
- Make dressing by blending in a food processor or jug blender and set aside.
- Cut cucumber length ways and remove seeds. Cut into thin slices on an angle. Peel and slice red onion as fine as you can. Make a salad with the herbs, cucumber, onions and dressing and arrange ½ on a plate/platter.
- In a wok heat the vegetable oil Deep fry pork squares until crispy, then drain well on paper towel.
- In a nonstick pan heat some oil/coconut oil and fry off paste until fragrant. Add the caramel to this and bring to the boil then place the pork in, the pork only needs to be coated as if it stays in the caramel too long it will lose its crispness.
- Scatter the pork over the salad and then the remaining salad over the pork sprinkle with fried shallots and sliced chilli.
Ingredients: 1 1⁄2 kg round steak, cleaned and cut into cubes 3 cans of roma tomatoes, crushed by hand 1 onion, finely diced 2-3 cloves of garlic 1⁄2 cup of olive oil, plus an additional 2 tbsp 1tbsp red wine vinegar 1L water or chicken stock (optional) 1tbsp tomato...
Ingredients: 1.5 kg green beans 3 potatoes 1 can of crushed tomatoes 1 tbsp tomato paste 2 onions, chopped 1 cup of olive oil 3 cups of Massel stock 1 cup of parsley finely chopped 1 tbsp sweet paprika Salt Pepper Method: Slice the tops off the green beans and string...
Ingredients: 500gm macaroni pasta 1 cup diced tomato Cheese sauce 500g monterey jack cheese 500ml cream 500ml milk 160gm butter 100gm flour 500ml beer Chilli flakes Salt and pepper 3/4 cup bread crumbs 2 tbsp melted butter 2 spring onion finely sliced Method: Cheese...
Ingredients: Serves 4 Hummus 1 Australian beetroot 4 Australian chestnuts 1 tin chickpeas 2 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Freshly squeezed juice from 1 ½ Australian lemons 1 clove Australian garlic 2 tbsp unhulled tahini ½ tsp cumin Pinch sea salt Cracked...
Ingredients: 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks 4 cups cornflakes 100g parmesan, finely grated 1 cup plain flour 1 egg 200ml milk 100g butter 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil 12 sage leaves 8 anchovy fillets Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish Salsa 1 large red capsicum 2 ripe...
Ingredients: Ribeye steak Salt Pepper 100g butter, softened 1 orange, zest 1 tsp thyme 50g hazelnuts, roasted 80g Blue cheese Method: Liberally season your steak with salt and pepper and cook to your liking, turning regularly. Rest for half of the cook time. Combine...