Drunken cheeky beefJacob Leung
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 375ml Guinness beer
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 anchovies, tinned
- 150g pickled onions
- 1kg beef cheeks
- litre chicken stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 30g butter
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- In a slow cooker add the carrot, brown onion, celery, red wine, Guinness, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, anchovies and pickled onions. Nestle the beef cheeks into the slow cooker ensuring each piece is half submerged. Season well with salt and pepper and slow cook on low for a minimum of 6 hours.
- To prepare the polenta, place a large pot over a medium to high heat. Bring the stock to the boil. Add the polenta in a steady stream to the pot whilst constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once all the polenta is added, reduce to a low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Continue to stir every few minutes ensuring the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Once the polenta is soft and no longer grainy, stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Serve the polenta in warmed bowls and top with the slow cooked beef cheeks.
Don’t have a slow cooker? No stress! Follow the method exactly the same but bake the beef in a covered casserole dish on 140°C, 120°C for fan-forced, for a minimum of 5 hours.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...