Drunken cheeky beefJacob Leung
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 375ml Guinness beer
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 anchovies, tinned
- 150g pickled onions
- 1kg beef cheeks
- litre chicken stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 30g butter
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- In a slow cooker add the carrot, brown onion, celery, red wine, Guinness, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, anchovies and pickled onions. Nestle the beef cheeks into the slow cooker ensuring each piece is half submerged. Season well with salt and pepper and slow cook on low for a minimum of 6 hours.
- To prepare the polenta, place a large pot over a medium to high heat. Bring the stock to the boil. Add the polenta in a steady stream to the pot whilst constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once all the polenta is added, reduce to a low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Continue to stir every few minutes ensuring the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Once the polenta is soft and no longer grainy, stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Serve the polenta in warmed bowls and top with the slow cooked beef cheeks.
Don’t have a slow cooker? No stress! Follow the method exactly the same but bake the beef in a covered casserole dish on 140°C, 120°C for fan-forced, for a minimum of 5 hours.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...