Drunken cheeky beefJacob Leung
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 375ml Guinness beer
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 anchovies, tinned
- 150g pickled onions
- 1kg beef cheeks
- litre chicken stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 30g butter
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- In a slow cooker add the carrot, brown onion, celery, red wine, Guinness, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, anchovies and pickled onions. Nestle the beef cheeks into the slow cooker ensuring each piece is half submerged. Season well with salt and pepper and slow cook on low for a minimum of 6 hours.
- To prepare the polenta, place a large pot over a medium to high heat. Bring the stock to the boil. Add the polenta in a steady stream to the pot whilst constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once all the polenta is added, reduce to a low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Continue to stir every few minutes ensuring the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Once the polenta is soft and no longer grainy, stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Serve the polenta in warmed bowls and top with the slow cooked beef cheeks.
Don’t have a slow cooker? No stress! Follow the method exactly the same but bake the beef in a covered casserole dish on 140°C, 120°C for fan-forced, for a minimum of 5 hours.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...