Drunken cheeky beefJacob Leung
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 375ml Guinness beer
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 anchovies, tinned
- 150g pickled onions
- 1kg beef cheeks
- litre chicken stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 30g butter
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- In a slow cooker add the carrot, brown onion, celery, red wine, Guinness, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, anchovies and pickled onions. Nestle the beef cheeks into the slow cooker ensuring each piece is half submerged. Season well with salt and pepper and slow cook on low for a minimum of 6 hours.
- To prepare the polenta, place a large pot over a medium to high heat. Bring the stock to the boil. Add the polenta in a steady stream to the pot whilst constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once all the polenta is added, reduce to a low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Continue to stir every few minutes ensuring the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Once the polenta is soft and no longer grainy, stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Serve the polenta in warmed bowls and top with the slow cooked beef cheeks.
Don’t have a slow cooker? No stress! Follow the method exactly the same but bake the beef in a covered casserole dish on 140°C, 120°C for fan-forced, for a minimum of 5 hours.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...
Ingredients: 4 roma tomatoes ½ brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, finely diced 1 tbsp chilli oil ½ cup white wine 500g goolwa pippies 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped 250g fresh taglierini or linguine 1 lemon, juice only 50g unsalted butter Sea salt flakes Black...
Ingredients: 3 cups plain flour, plus extra Salt 1 ¼ cups warm water 150ml Peanut oil, plus extra Cheese Filling: 500g ricotta cheese 100gm Greek fetta 300gm cottage cheese 300ml thickened cream 2 eggs Salt Method: Combine the cheeses in a large bowl and mix together,...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms 1 tbsp oil 225g Chicken mince 2 tbsp fish sauce 1 lime, juice only 1 tsp caster sugar 3 spring onions, finely chopped ¼ cucumber, finely diced 2 red chillies, finely sliced 1cm ginger,...
Ingredients: 6 chicken thighs 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs ½ bunch parsley 100g parmigiano cheese 2 garlic cloves Sea salt Black pepper Flour, for dusting 2 eggs Method: Blitz the parsley, cheese and garlic into a fine crumb and mix through the breadcrumbs. Season with...
Ingredients: 1/2 head of cauliflower, outer leaves removed and retained, cauliflower chopped into florets. 1 clove of garlic - peeled & sliced in half 1 tsp of sultanas or raisins (optional) 6 black peppercorns 1/4 tsp turmeric 1/4 tsp curry powder 3/4 cup...