Drunken cheeky beefJacob Leung
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 375ml Guinness beer
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 anchovies, tinned
- 150g pickled onions
- 1kg beef cheeks
- litre chicken stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 30g butter
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- In a slow cooker add the carrot, brown onion, celery, red wine, Guinness, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, anchovies and pickled onions. Nestle the beef cheeks into the slow cooker ensuring each piece is half submerged. Season well with salt and pepper and slow cook on low for a minimum of 6 hours.
- To prepare the polenta, place a large pot over a medium to high heat. Bring the stock to the boil. Add the polenta in a steady stream to the pot whilst constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once all the polenta is added, reduce to a low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Continue to stir every few minutes ensuring the polenta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Once the polenta is soft and no longer grainy, stir in the butter and parmesan.
- Serve the polenta in warmed bowls and top with the slow cooked beef cheeks.
Don’t have a slow cooker? No stress! Follow the method exactly the same but bake the beef in a covered casserole dish on 140°C, 120°C for fan-forced, for a minimum of 5 hours.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: 2 heads broccoli 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 head garlic, unpeeled 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock 120g baby spinach leaves 125g sour cream, plus extra to serve Chilli flakes & herbs, such as basil,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations Ingredients: 2 pieces Shimeji mushroom (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Red capsicum (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Zucchini (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Eggplant (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Sweet potato...
Ingredients: 30ml Vegetable oil 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 3 small red onions, 1 sliced, 2 roughly chopped 1 Red Scotch bonnet, finely chopped 100g Tomato paste 2 Tsp curry powder 1 Tsp Thyme, Fresh preferably but dried will also work 2 Bay leaves 1lt Chicken...
Ingredients:For pastry: 225g Plain Flour 100g Butter, unsalted (Make sure it’s really cold!) 4 Tbsp water, chilled For Filling: 250ml Cream 2 Large Eggs 200g Gaunchalie (or bacon) 1 Brown Onion, diced 100g Heritage baby tomatoes (halved) 125g Gruyère cheese 50g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Ocean Spray Ingredients: 400g Venison Loin 1 Carrot chopped 1 Brown onion, diced 1 Bay Leaf 2 Sprigs Rosemary 1 Bulb Garlic 1 Glass Red wine 1 Tbsp Tomato paste 700ml Beef Stock 100g Dark chocolate ...
Ingredients: 100g self raising flour 1 egg 3 tbs sour cream 2 tins corn ½ bunch coriander 1 bunch spring onions 2 avocados 1 shallot 1 long red chilli 2 limes Method: n a mixing bowl, combine your egg, the tinned corn, ½ a shallot, sour cream and flour together,...