Fermented Chilli Hot SauceMandy Hall
- 10 large fresh Red Chillies (see notes)
- 4 Garlic cloves peeled
- 1 medium-sized red onion sliced
- 2 slices of fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 dried date or 1 TB raw sugar
- Approx 2 cups of filtered cool water
- Sea Salt – 2% of the total weight of ingredients, including the water
- If total ingredients weigh 500g – 500g x 2% =10g salt (see notes)
- 1 TB – white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar for post-fermentation
- Apple weight option – 1/2 apple slice horizontally through the middle.
- Make sure your jar and lid are washed, clean and dry.
- Dissolve salt into the water and set aside
- Remove then stem from the chilli and discard to compost.
- Depending on how hot you like your sauce, you can place the whole chilli into the fermenting jar, or you can slice & remove the veins & seeds (the hot parts) and place leftover chilli into the jar. Add all other ingredients, including water, leaving at least one-inch headroom from the top. Ensure that all ingredients are kept underneath the saltwater brine by weighing down with a half apple or suitable weight. Lid your jar with either an airlock lid or a sturdy jar lid.
- Place your chilli ferment in a cool spot at room temp & out of direct sunlight; fermentation will begin, and you should start to see some activity within two days; after day 2, please burp the jar each day. You can prepare the sauce from day five onwards, but two weeks is ideal. Once ready (anywhere from 7 days to 21 days), discard the apple or remove the weight.
- Strain the jar contents & keep the liquid/brine; put all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend at high speed, add brine back into the processor until you achieve the desired consistency, add the 1 TB of vinegar, blend for an additional 15 -30 seconds. Pour into a very clean bottle or jar and store in the fridge for up to 3 months if it lasts that long!
- Choose a chilli with a heat level that you are comfortable with, if the chilli is very hot, the hot sauce will be too.
- Make sure all of the equipment has been washed and is clean and dry before use. Make sure the jar is a good strong glass jar.
- Salt – please use natural sea salt.
- This chilli sauce is an anaerobic ferment – we want to keep the oxygen out; airlocks are the perfect way to do this. Airlocks stop oxygen from getting in but allow any gases to escape. Alternatively, a lidded jar also works very well; you will need to gently “burp” the jar each day after day 2 in this case.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Off-dry Rose’.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...