Fermented Chilli Hot SauceMandy Hall
- 10 large fresh Red Chillies (see notes)
- 4 Garlic cloves peeled
- 1 medium-sized red onion sliced
- 2 slices of fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 dried date or 1 TB raw sugar
- Approx 2 cups of filtered cool water
- Sea Salt – 2% of the total weight of ingredients, including the water
- If total ingredients weigh 500g – 500g x 2% =10g salt (see notes)
- 1 TB – white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar for post-fermentation
- Apple weight option – 1/2 apple slice horizontally through the middle.
- Make sure your jar and lid are washed, clean and dry.
- Dissolve salt into the water and set aside
- Remove then stem from the chilli and discard to compost.
- Depending on how hot you like your sauce, you can place the whole chilli into the fermenting jar, or you can slice & remove the veins & seeds (the hot parts) and place leftover chilli into the jar. Add all other ingredients, including water, leaving at least one-inch headroom from the top. Ensure that all ingredients are kept underneath the saltwater brine by weighing down with a half apple or suitable weight. Lid your jar with either an airlock lid or a sturdy jar lid.
- Place your chilli ferment in a cool spot at room temp & out of direct sunlight; fermentation will begin, and you should start to see some activity within two days; after day 2, please burp the jar each day. You can prepare the sauce from day five onwards, but two weeks is ideal. Once ready (anywhere from 7 days to 21 days), discard the apple or remove the weight.
- Strain the jar contents & keep the liquid/brine; put all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend at high speed, add brine back into the processor until you achieve the desired consistency, add the 1 TB of vinegar, blend for an additional 15 -30 seconds. Pour into a very clean bottle or jar and store in the fridge for up to 3 months if it lasts that long!
- Choose a chilli with a heat level that you are comfortable with, if the chilli is very hot, the hot sauce will be too.
- Make sure all of the equipment has been washed and is clean and dry before use. Make sure the jar is a good strong glass jar.
- Salt – please use natural sea salt.
- This chilli sauce is an anaerobic ferment – we want to keep the oxygen out; airlocks are the perfect way to do this. Airlocks stop oxygen from getting in but allow any gases to escape. Alternatively, a lidded jar also works very well; you will need to gently “burp” the jar each day after day 2 in this case.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Off-dry Rose’.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...