Fermented Chilli Hot SauceMandy Hall
- 10 large fresh Red Chillies (see notes)
- 4 Garlic cloves peeled
- 1 medium-sized red onion sliced
- 2 slices of fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 dried date or 1 TB raw sugar
- Approx 2 cups of filtered cool water
- Sea Salt – 2% of the total weight of ingredients, including the water
- If total ingredients weigh 500g – 500g x 2% =10g salt (see notes)
- 1 TB – white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar for post-fermentation
- Apple weight option – 1/2 apple slice horizontally through the middle.
- Make sure your jar and lid are washed, clean and dry.
- Dissolve salt into the water and set aside
- Remove then stem from the chilli and discard to compost.
- Depending on how hot you like your sauce, you can place the whole chilli into the fermenting jar, or you can slice & remove the veins & seeds (the hot parts) and place leftover chilli into the jar. Add all other ingredients, including water, leaving at least one-inch headroom from the top. Ensure that all ingredients are kept underneath the saltwater brine by weighing down with a half apple or suitable weight. Lid your jar with either an airlock lid or a sturdy jar lid.
- Place your chilli ferment in a cool spot at room temp & out of direct sunlight; fermentation will begin, and you should start to see some activity within two days; after day 2, please burp the jar each day. You can prepare the sauce from day five onwards, but two weeks is ideal. Once ready (anywhere from 7 days to 21 days), discard the apple or remove the weight.
- Strain the jar contents & keep the liquid/brine; put all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend at high speed, add brine back into the processor until you achieve the desired consistency, add the 1 TB of vinegar, blend for an additional 15 -30 seconds. Pour into a very clean bottle or jar and store in the fridge for up to 3 months if it lasts that long!
- Choose a chilli with a heat level that you are comfortable with, if the chilli is very hot, the hot sauce will be too.
- Make sure all of the equipment has been washed and is clean and dry before use. Make sure the jar is a good strong glass jar.
- Salt – please use natural sea salt.
- This chilli sauce is an anaerobic ferment – we want to keep the oxygen out; airlocks are the perfect way to do this. Airlocks stop oxygen from getting in but allow any gases to escape. Alternatively, a lidded jar also works very well; you will need to gently “burp” the jar each day after day 2 in this case.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Off-dry Rose’.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...