Fermented Chilli Hot SauceMandy Hall
- 10 large fresh Red Chillies (see notes)
- 4 Garlic cloves peeled
- 1 medium-sized red onion sliced
- 2 slices of fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 dried date or 1 TB raw sugar
- Approx 2 cups of filtered cool water
- Sea Salt – 2% of the total weight of ingredients, including the water
- If total ingredients weigh 500g – 500g x 2% =10g salt (see notes)
- 1 TB – white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar for post-fermentation
- Apple weight option – 1/2 apple slice horizontally through the middle.
- Make sure your jar and lid are washed, clean and dry.
- Dissolve salt into the water and set aside
- Remove then stem from the chilli and discard to compost.
- Depending on how hot you like your sauce, you can place the whole chilli into the fermenting jar, or you can slice & remove the veins & seeds (the hot parts) and place leftover chilli into the jar. Add all other ingredients, including water, leaving at least one-inch headroom from the top. Ensure that all ingredients are kept underneath the saltwater brine by weighing down with a half apple or suitable weight. Lid your jar with either an airlock lid or a sturdy jar lid.
- Place your chilli ferment in a cool spot at room temp & out of direct sunlight; fermentation will begin, and you should start to see some activity within two days; after day 2, please burp the jar each day. You can prepare the sauce from day five onwards, but two weeks is ideal. Once ready (anywhere from 7 days to 21 days), discard the apple or remove the weight.
- Strain the jar contents & keep the liquid/brine; put all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend at high speed, add brine back into the processor until you achieve the desired consistency, add the 1 TB of vinegar, blend for an additional 15 -30 seconds. Pour into a very clean bottle or jar and store in the fridge for up to 3 months if it lasts that long!
- Choose a chilli with a heat level that you are comfortable with, if the chilli is very hot, the hot sauce will be too.
- Make sure all of the equipment has been washed and is clean and dry before use. Make sure the jar is a good strong glass jar.
- Salt – please use natural sea salt.
- This chilli sauce is an anaerobic ferment – we want to keep the oxygen out; airlocks are the perfect way to do this. Airlocks stop oxygen from getting in but allow any gases to escape. Alternatively, a lidded jar also works very well; you will need to gently “burp” the jar each day after day 2 in this case.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Off-dry Rose’.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...