Grilled Pork Chop with Apple SauceBen O'Donoghue
- 4 thick pork loin chops skin off
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 stick of rosemary, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 4 fresh bay leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Flaky salt
- 4 Red Apples cored and cut into 8th (keep the skin on)
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Star anise
- To make the marinade, combine the garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, balsamic and oil in a bowl. Score the fat of the pork loin with a sharp knife in a crisscross fashion; season with the black pepper. Place the pork in a non-reactive tray and pour the marinade over the pork, cover and allow to stand for 1 hour, turning two or three times.
- Prepare your Barbeque for direct grilling at a medium high heat turning all of your gas burners on.
- Remove the pork chops from the marinade, reserving the marinade in a small saucepan place the remaining marinade over a medium heat and boil until it reduces by half; set aside.
- Place the chops on the grill plate of the barbecue allowing the fat to caramelize and blacken slightly, creating a grill marked pattern allow to cook on one side for 6 minutes then turn and grill for a further 4-5 minutes with the lid down. once cooked remove and rest
- Baste the pork with the reduced marinade.
- Once cooked the meat should be medium well with a touch of pink in the centre
- Serve with the apple sauce and garnish with the bay and rosemary in the marinade sauce.
- Place all together in a pot and simmer covered until it breaks up then pass through a food mill or roughly pulse in a food processor then return to the heat and reduce to thicken.
- Season with salt
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Red Symphony Hill Reserve Shiraz or White Ballandean Fiono 2019
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...