Grilled Pork Chop with Apple SauceBen O'Donoghue
- 4 thick pork loin chops skin off
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 stick of rosemary, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 4 fresh bay leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Flaky salt
- 4 Red Apples cored and cut into 8th (keep the skin on)
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Star anise
- To make the marinade, combine the garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, balsamic and oil in a bowl. Score the fat of the pork loin with a sharp knife in a crisscross fashion; season with the black pepper. Place the pork in a non-reactive tray and pour the marinade over the pork, cover and allow to stand for 1 hour, turning two or three times.
- Prepare your Barbeque for direct grilling at a medium high heat turning all of your gas burners on.
- Remove the pork chops from the marinade, reserving the marinade in a small saucepan place the remaining marinade over a medium heat and boil until it reduces by half; set aside.
- Place the chops on the grill plate of the barbecue allowing the fat to caramelize and blacken slightly, creating a grill marked pattern allow to cook on one side for 6 minutes then turn and grill for a further 4-5 minutes with the lid down. once cooked remove and rest
- Baste the pork with the reduced marinade.
- Once cooked the meat should be medium well with a touch of pink in the centre
- Serve with the apple sauce and garnish with the bay and rosemary in the marinade sauce.
- Place all together in a pot and simmer covered until it breaks up then pass through a food mill or roughly pulse in a food processor then return to the heat and reduce to thicken.
- Season with salt
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Red Symphony Hill Reserve Shiraz or White Ballandean Fiono 2019
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...