- 500gm Pork belly or shoulder mince
- ¼ Wombok/cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 Spring onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons Soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons roasted Sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons potato starch plus extra for dusting and gluing
- 50 gyoza 60-80mm diameter Wrappers
- 4 tablespoons Soy
- 2 tablespoons Rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chilli oil
- Combine the shredded cabbage and the salt in a bowl, allow to stand for 30mins so that flavours can develop and then squeeze out the liquid that has developed.
- Place the wrung out cabbage in a bowl and mix in the spring onion, garlic, ginger, pork, soy and potato starch. Using your hands squish the mixture together well until it turns into a sticky mixture.
- Dust a tray with a fine sprinkling of potato starch. Mix a small mount of potato starch with water in a bowl. Place the a gyoza skin floured side down (they usually come floured on one side) using the tip of your finger dipped in the flour water mixture wet the edges of the gyoza wrapper.
- Place a tablespoon of mixture into the centre of a wrapper. Using your index finger and thumb of both hands fold the wrapper Pinch together The aim is to keep the back flat and pinch to create pleats and seal at the front. Place standing up on a tray, it’s important the base is flat for cooking and freeze if you’re freezing to use later.
- When cooking heat a non stick pan, I find an electric fry pan with a lid works best.
- Use high heat and place some vegetable oil in the pan, place gyoza in allow to colour on the bottom. Place a cup of water into the pan and place lid on and turn heat down to medium. They should take about 6 minutes.
- Serve with a dipping sauce.
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...