Hand Rolled Cavatelli with Slow Cooked RabbitJoseph Vargetto
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- 350g semolina
- 100g tipo 00 flour3 eggs large
- 50ml water
- 20ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra flour for rolling
- 1 rabbit cut into smallish pieces,
- ½ cup green olives,
- ½ cup capers,
- 4 cloves garlic,
- 2tsp pine nuts
- 2tsp currents
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 glass of white wine mixed with ½ cup of red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200gr ricotta salata grated
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- For the cavatelli dough, knead the ingredients together until a smooth ball forms. Cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll out each into a flat disk. Then slice into 2cm strips and cut into the size of Cavatelli you prefer, around 2-5cm each. Press each out on a mini washboard or fork.
- In a large frying pan sauté the rabbit in the hot extra virgin olive oil until golden.
Add the seasoning, olives, garlic, capers and mint.
- Reduce the heat and add the mixture of wine and vinegar gradually while the rabbit is cooking.
- If it is a tender rabbit and if it is cut into small enough pieces, the rabbit may be cooked by the time all of the liquid has evaporated. If the rabbit is not as young or as tender as you had hoped, and you feel that it needs to be cooked for longer (this has always been my experience), add a little water, cover with a lid and simmer it gently until it is soft – keep on adding the wine and vinegar.
- Remove the lid and evaporate the juices. Ensure that the rabbit is that deep golden brown colour when you serve it.
- Gently simmer the cavatelli pasta in salted water for 15 minutes, drain and add to rabbit sauce. Add some ricotta salata (or parmesan) stir and serve.
Ingredients: 4 cups Cooked short medium rice (piping hot) 1 Carrot (julienned) 1 Zucchini (julienned) 8 Dried shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated in warm water for at least 1 hr, sliced) 1 pack Enoki mushrooms, separated 4 Radishes, thinly sliced 1 cup Shelled edamame...
Ingredients: 4 x Burger buns Brioche 600g beef mince (formed into 150g balls) ½ red onion finely diced 100g garlic and dill pickles “Maclures “ or similar 4tbsp tomato ketchup Monteray jack cheese slices (4x 50g slices) 100g Kewpie mayo 20g Hot English mustard Salt...
Ingredients: Pumpkin Seed Hummus 300g pepita seeds soaked in water 30g garlic 120ml lemon juice 120gm tahini 250ml water 250g evo Tahini Green Goddess Dressing 3 cloves garlic peeled Juice of 1 lemon 60mls Salt 100g tahini 250ml EVO 1 cup of water 1 tablespoon caper 1...
Ingredients: 1 x Laucke Brioche Mix Sliced jalapeno chilli pickled 600g chicken tenders sunflower oil for frying Kewpee sesame dressing Pineapple Iceberg lettuce ½ cup butter milk / yoghurt Crumb 1 ½ cup chickpea flour 1 tsp onion powder ¼ tsp cayenne pepper ¼ tsp...
Ingredients: Dineamic Sweet Potato and Coconut Curry Cauliflower rice Roti bread Yoghurt Mint Method: Place the pouch in a pot of simmering water for 10 minutes. Cauliflower rice is super easy to make if you have a food processor. Chop the floret of cauliflower and...
Ingredients: 1-2 Safcol tins smoked trout 1 tub full fat cream cheese 1 tbsp dill chopped finely chopped 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion or banana shallot 1tbsp baby capers Juice of 1 lemon Salt Pepper To serve Cucumber sticks Carrot sticks Celery sticks And or...