Hand Rolled Cavatelli with Slow Cooked RabbitJoseph Vargetto
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- 350g semolina
- 100g tipo 00 flour3 eggs large
- 50ml water
- 20ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra flour for rolling
- 1 rabbit cut into smallish pieces,
- ½ cup green olives,
- ½ cup capers,
- 4 cloves garlic,
- 2tsp pine nuts
- 2tsp currents
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 glass of white wine mixed with ½ cup of red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200gr ricotta salata grated
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- For the cavatelli dough, knead the ingredients together until a smooth ball forms. Cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll out each into a flat disk. Then slice into 2cm strips and cut into the size of Cavatelli you prefer, around 2-5cm each. Press each out on a mini washboard or fork.
- In a large frying pan sauté the rabbit in the hot extra virgin olive oil until golden.
Add the seasoning, olives, garlic, capers and mint.
- Reduce the heat and add the mixture of wine and vinegar gradually while the rabbit is cooking.
- If it is a tender rabbit and if it is cut into small enough pieces, the rabbit may be cooked by the time all of the liquid has evaporated. If the rabbit is not as young or as tender as you had hoped, and you feel that it needs to be cooked for longer (this has always been my experience), add a little water, cover with a lid and simmer it gently until it is soft – keep on adding the wine and vinegar.
- Remove the lid and evaporate the juices. Ensure that the rabbit is that deep golden brown colour when you serve it.
- Gently simmer the cavatelli pasta in salted water for 15 minutes, drain and add to rabbit sauce. Add some ricotta salata (or parmesan) stir and serve.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...