Hand Rolled Cavatelli with Slow Cooked RabbitJoseph Vargetto
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- 350g semolina
- 100g tipo 00 flour3 eggs large
- 50ml water
- 20ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra flour for rolling
- 1 rabbit cut into smallish pieces,
- ½ cup green olives,
- ½ cup capers,
- 4 cloves garlic,
- 2tsp pine nuts
- 2tsp currents
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 glass of white wine mixed with ½ cup of red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200gr ricotta salata grated
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- For the cavatelli dough, knead the ingredients together until a smooth ball forms. Cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll out each into a flat disk. Then slice into 2cm strips and cut into the size of Cavatelli you prefer, around 2-5cm each. Press each out on a mini washboard or fork.
- In a large frying pan sauté the rabbit in the hot extra virgin olive oil until golden.
Add the seasoning, olives, garlic, capers and mint.
- Reduce the heat and add the mixture of wine and vinegar gradually while the rabbit is cooking.
- If it is a tender rabbit and if it is cut into small enough pieces, the rabbit may be cooked by the time all of the liquid has evaporated. If the rabbit is not as young or as tender as you had hoped, and you feel that it needs to be cooked for longer (this has always been my experience), add a little water, cover with a lid and simmer it gently until it is soft – keep on adding the wine and vinegar.
- Remove the lid and evaporate the juices. Ensure that the rabbit is that deep golden brown colour when you serve it.
- Gently simmer the cavatelli pasta in salted water for 15 minutes, drain and add to rabbit sauce. Add some ricotta salata (or parmesan) stir and serve.
Ingredients: 500g dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight 1-2 sticks of celery, finely chopped 1 large onion, chopped 150ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving Juice of 1 lemon, or more if needed 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped A sprinkling...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 small onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, chopped 1 cup chopped carrot 10 habanero or carolina reaper chillies 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) lime juice 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) white vinegar 1 teaspoon English mustard 1 teaspoon salt 250 ml...
Ingredients: Makes 6 - 8 large muffins depending on amount of filling 500gm flour 500ml milk 2 eggs 20gm Baking powder 1 cup veg oil Equipment 1 x Large 6 Muffin tray Baking paper cut into 15x15cm square and cut from point ¾ into the center to make a windmill kind of...
Ingredients: 2 tbsp olive oil 1kg potatoes, cubes 1 onion, diced 2 sticks celery, sliced 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 butternut pumpkin (1.5-2kg), cubed 3 saffron threads Pinch of salt and pepper Sprig of Rosemary 1.5 litres chicken stock 1 carrot, chopped...
Ingredients: Serves 2 1 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil 1 Australian red onion Small bunch Australian spring onions Small bunch Australian Kale 1 Australian red capsicum 1 clove Australian garlic ½ tsp cumin 1 tsp paprika Pinch cayenne pepper (optional) 1 tin...
Ingredients: 8 chicken thigh skin on Brine 500ml butter milk 1 onion 2 cloves garlic 1tbsp salt 1tsp cracked black pepper Dressing 1 cup Sour cream 1 cup Buttermilk 2 tbsp chopped Chives 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 1 tbsp Honey 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar 1 cup Extra Virgin...