Hand Rolled Cavatelli with Slow Cooked RabbitJoseph Vargetto
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- 350g semolina
- 100g tipo 00 flour3 eggs large
- 50ml water
- 20ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra flour for rolling
- 1 rabbit cut into smallish pieces,
- ½ cup green olives,
- ½ cup capers,
- 4 cloves garlic,
- 2tsp pine nuts
- 2tsp currents
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 glass of white wine mixed with ½ cup of red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200gr ricotta salata grated
Hand Rolled Cavatelli
- For the cavatelli dough, knead the ingredients together until a smooth ball forms. Cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll out each into a flat disk. Then slice into 2cm strips and cut into the size of Cavatelli you prefer, around 2-5cm each. Press each out on a mini washboard or fork.
- In a large frying pan sauté the rabbit in the hot extra virgin olive oil until golden.
Add the seasoning, olives, garlic, capers and mint.
- Reduce the heat and add the mixture of wine and vinegar gradually while the rabbit is cooking.
- If it is a tender rabbit and if it is cut into small enough pieces, the rabbit may be cooked by the time all of the liquid has evaporated. If the rabbit is not as young or as tender as you had hoped, and you feel that it needs to be cooked for longer (this has always been my experience), add a little water, cover with a lid and simmer it gently until it is soft – keep on adding the wine and vinegar.
- Remove the lid and evaporate the juices. Ensure that the rabbit is that deep golden brown colour when you serve it.
- Gently simmer the cavatelli pasta in salted water for 15 minutes, drain and add to rabbit sauce. Add some ricotta salata (or parmesan) stir and serve.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...