Mussles in Hot and Sour SoupKaren Chan
- 105g Safcol Chilean Mussels in Spanish Escabeche sauce
- 1tbsp oil
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 4 slices ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, soaked and then finely sliced
- 225 g canned bamboo shoots, drained and julienned
- 800 ml chicken stock (you may substitute this with vegetable or fish stock)
- 1 tsp Chinese black vinegar
- 300 g soft tofu, cut to 6 slices
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (use as much or as little as you’d like, to your taste)
- Soy sauce, to season to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Mix 1tsp corn flour with 1 tsp water
- Chopped spring onions
- Fresh coriander
- In a pot on medium heat, add the oil and then fry ginger and garlic until slightly brown.
- Add shiitake and bamboo shoots to fry for a minute and then gently add wine.
- Add stock, vinegar, tofu, sesame oil, white pepper, chili flakes and Mussels in sauce, bring it to a boil then lower the heat and leave the soup to simmer for 5 minutes. Using a spoon, you may break up the tofu to smaller chunks.
- Season to taste with soy sauce.
- Pour in the roux to thicken the soup and then drizzle in the beaten egg.
- To serve, garnish with herbs and an extra dash of white pepper.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...