Nonna Maria's AranchiniLaura Sharrad
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves
- 5 cups arborio rice
- 1 chicken stock cubes
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- 1 egg
- 20 bocconcini
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Sea salt flakes
- Oil, for frying
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic over a medium heat until they’re a light golden colour, about 3 minutes.
- Purée the chopped tomatoes before adding them to the pan. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and add the sugar. Add the basil and cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While the sauce is cooking, rinse the rice under cold running water a few times. Pour 750ml litres of water into a saucepan, add the rinsed rice and stock cubes, and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and continue to cook the rice until tender. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, put it in a bowl and allow it to cool down a bit. Once cooled, combine with the eggs, grated cheeses and cooled sauce. If the mixture is too wet to handle, add some breadcrumbs to improve the texture.
- First up, roll about half a cup of mixture into a ball, stuff the middle with a bocconcini ball or piece of mozzarella, and shape the arancini ball into a pyramid shape.
- Continue to do this for the rest of the mixture. You should end up with about 20 arancini balls.Gently roll each arancino in the breadcrumbs and place on a tray. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or overnight.
- Pour canola oil into a saucepan until one-third full. Set over a high heat until the oil is approximately 180°C. To test whether the oil is ready, place a piece of breadcrumb into the oil – if it turns golden straight away, it’s ready. Add the arancini 2 or 3 at a time, depending on the size of the saucepan. They should take 3–4 minutes to cook. Turn throughout the cooking time to ensure they are evenly browned. Drain on a paper towel. Continue with the remaining arancini.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Grigio.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...