Nonna Maria's AranchiniLaura Sharrad
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves
- 5 cups arborio rice
- 1 chicken stock cubes
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- 1 egg
- 20 bocconcini
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Sea salt flakes
- Oil, for frying
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic over a medium heat until they’re a light golden colour, about 3 minutes.
- Purée the chopped tomatoes before adding them to the pan. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and add the sugar. Add the basil and cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While the sauce is cooking, rinse the rice under cold running water a few times. Pour 750ml litres of water into a saucepan, add the rinsed rice and stock cubes, and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat and continue to cook the rice until tender. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, put it in a bowl and allow it to cool down a bit. Once cooled, combine with the eggs, grated cheeses and cooled sauce. If the mixture is too wet to handle, add some breadcrumbs to improve the texture.
- First up, roll about half a cup of mixture into a ball, stuff the middle with a bocconcini ball or piece of mozzarella, and shape the arancini ball into a pyramid shape.
- Continue to do this for the rest of the mixture. You should end up with about 20 arancini balls.Gently roll each arancino in the breadcrumbs and place on a tray. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or overnight.
- Pour canola oil into a saucepan until one-third full. Set over a high heat until the oil is approximately 180°C. To test whether the oil is ready, place a piece of breadcrumb into the oil – if it turns golden straight away, it’s ready. Add the arancini 2 or 3 at a time, depending on the size of the saucepan. They should take 3–4 minutes to cook. Turn throughout the cooking time to ensure they are evenly browned. Drain on a paper towel. Continue with the remaining arancini.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Grigio.
Ingredients: 2 heads broccoli 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 head garlic, unpeeled 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock 120g baby spinach leaves 125g sour cream, plus extra to serve Chilli flakes & herbs, such as basil,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations Ingredients: 2 pieces Shimeji mushroom (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Red capsicum (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Zucchini (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Eggplant (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Sweet potato...
Ingredients: 30ml Vegetable oil 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 3 small red onions, 1 sliced, 2 roughly chopped 1 Red Scotch bonnet, finely chopped 100g Tomato paste 2 Tsp curry powder 1 Tsp Thyme, Fresh preferably but dried will also work 2 Bay leaves 1lt Chicken...
Ingredients:For pastry: 225g Plain Flour 100g Butter, unsalted (Make sure it’s really cold!) 4 Tbsp water, chilled For Filling: 250ml Cream 2 Large Eggs 200g Gaunchalie (or bacon) 1 Brown Onion, diced 100g Heritage baby tomatoes (halved) 125g Gruyère cheese 50g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Ocean Spray Ingredients: 400g Venison Loin 1 Carrot chopped 1 Brown onion, diced 1 Bay Leaf 2 Sprigs Rosemary 1 Bulb Garlic 1 Glass Red wine 1 Tbsp Tomato paste 700ml Beef Stock 100g Dark chocolate ...
Ingredients: 100g self raising flour 1 egg 3 tbs sour cream 2 tins corn ½ bunch coriander 1 bunch spring onions 2 avocados 1 shallot 1 long red chilli 2 limes Method: n a mixing bowl, combine your egg, the tinned corn, ½ a shallot, sour cream and flour together,...