Pepper Steak and Blue Cheese PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 1 tspn of black peppercorns
- 500ml Guinness or dark ale
- 8 shallots peeled
- 1 tbsp vegemite
- 500gm bought puff pastry
- 100gm Stilton blue cheese or similar
- Celery salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine the diced beef with the Guinness, thyme, garlic and peppercorns and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- After marinating the beef drain and reserve the liquid. Pat dry the beef and dredge in seasoned flour and fry in small batches until brown and set aside.
- Then place the sealed beef into a casserole dish with the shallots and the marinade. Add the vegemite and cook gently over a low heat or in a low oven for approximately 2 and half hours.
- The meat should be very tender, season with celery salt and allow cooling.
- Grease a pie dish with butter. Then roll out the puff pastry and cut two discs – one large enough to line the dish and another to form the lid.
- Fill the lined pie dish with the beef mixture and then brush the edges with the egg yolk. Crumble the cheese over the top of the pie filling. Place the lid over the pie dish and seal with firm crimps or the back of a fork to adhere the two pieces of pastry.
- Brush the lid with the remaining egg yolk and place into an oven preheated to 180 degrees and cook for between 45 – 60 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite greens.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Peter Drayton Anomaly Vermentino 2018 or Comyns & Co Pinot Shiraz 2018
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...