Pepper Steak and Blue Cheese PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 1 tspn of black peppercorns
- 500ml Guinness or dark ale
- 8 shallots peeled
- 1 tbsp vegemite
- 500gm bought puff pastry
- 100gm Stilton blue cheese or similar
- Celery salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine the diced beef with the Guinness, thyme, garlic and peppercorns and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- After marinating the beef drain and reserve the liquid. Pat dry the beef and dredge in seasoned flour and fry in small batches until brown and set aside.
- Then place the sealed beef into a casserole dish with the shallots and the marinade. Add the vegemite and cook gently over a low heat or in a low oven for approximately 2 and half hours.
- The meat should be very tender, season with celery salt and allow cooling.
- Grease a pie dish with butter. Then roll out the puff pastry and cut two discs – one large enough to line the dish and another to form the lid.
- Fill the lined pie dish with the beef mixture and then brush the edges with the egg yolk. Crumble the cheese over the top of the pie filling. Place the lid over the pie dish and seal with firm crimps or the back of a fork to adhere the two pieces of pastry.
- Brush the lid with the remaining egg yolk and place into an oven preheated to 180 degrees and cook for between 45 – 60 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite greens.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Peter Drayton Anomaly Vermentino 2018 or Comyns & Co Pinot Shiraz 2018
Ingredients: 500g dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight 1-2 sticks of celery, finely chopped 1 large onion, chopped 150ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving Juice of 1 lemon, or more if needed 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped A sprinkling...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 small onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, chopped 1 cup chopped carrot 10 habanero or carolina reaper chillies 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) lime juice 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) white vinegar 1 teaspoon English mustard 1 teaspoon salt 250 ml...
Ingredients: Makes 6 - 8 large muffins depending on amount of filling 500gm flour 500ml milk 2 eggs 20gm Baking powder 1 cup veg oil Equipment 1 x Large 6 Muffin tray Baking paper cut into 15x15cm square and cut from point ¾ into the center to make a windmill kind of...
Ingredients: 2 tbsp olive oil 1kg potatoes, cubes 1 onion, diced 2 sticks celery, sliced 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 butternut pumpkin (1.5-2kg), cubed 3 saffron threads Pinch of salt and pepper Sprig of Rosemary 1.5 litres chicken stock 1 carrot, chopped...
Ingredients: Serves 2 1 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil 1 Australian red onion Small bunch Australian spring onions Small bunch Australian Kale 1 Australian red capsicum 1 clove Australian garlic ½ tsp cumin 1 tsp paprika Pinch cayenne pepper (optional) 1 tin...
Ingredients: 8 chicken thigh skin on Brine 500ml butter milk 1 onion 2 cloves garlic 1tbsp salt 1tsp cracked black pepper Dressing 1 cup Sour cream 1 cup Buttermilk 2 tbsp chopped Chives 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 1 tbsp Honey 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar 1 cup Extra Virgin...