Pepper Steak and Blue Cheese PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 1 tspn of black peppercorns
- 500ml Guinness or dark ale
- 8 shallots peeled
- 1 tbsp vegemite
- 500gm bought puff pastry
- 100gm Stilton blue cheese or similar
- Celery salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine the diced beef with the Guinness, thyme, garlic and peppercorns and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- After marinating the beef drain and reserve the liquid. Pat dry the beef and dredge in seasoned flour and fry in small batches until brown and set aside.
- Then place the sealed beef into a casserole dish with the shallots and the marinade. Add the vegemite and cook gently over a low heat or in a low oven for approximately 2 and half hours.
- The meat should be very tender, season with celery salt and allow cooling.
- Grease a pie dish with butter. Then roll out the puff pastry and cut two discs – one large enough to line the dish and another to form the lid.
- Fill the lined pie dish with the beef mixture and then brush the edges with the egg yolk. Crumble the cheese over the top of the pie filling. Place the lid over the pie dish and seal with firm crimps or the back of a fork to adhere the two pieces of pastry.
- Brush the lid with the remaining egg yolk and place into an oven preheated to 180 degrees and cook for between 45 – 60 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite greens.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Peter Drayton Anomaly Vermentino 2018 or Comyns & Co Pinot Shiraz 2018
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...