Pepper Steak and Blue Cheese PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 1 tspn of black peppercorns
- 500ml Guinness or dark ale
- 8 shallots peeled
- 1 tbsp vegemite
- 500gm bought puff pastry
- 100gm Stilton blue cheese or similar
- Celery salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine the diced beef with the Guinness, thyme, garlic and peppercorns and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- After marinating the beef drain and reserve the liquid. Pat dry the beef and dredge in seasoned flour and fry in small batches until brown and set aside.
- Then place the sealed beef into a casserole dish with the shallots and the marinade. Add the vegemite and cook gently over a low heat or in a low oven for approximately 2 and half hours.
- The meat should be very tender, season with celery salt and allow cooling.
- Grease a pie dish with butter. Then roll out the puff pastry and cut two discs – one large enough to line the dish and another to form the lid.
- Fill the lined pie dish with the beef mixture and then brush the edges with the egg yolk. Crumble the cheese over the top of the pie filling. Place the lid over the pie dish and seal with firm crimps or the back of a fork to adhere the two pieces of pastry.
- Brush the lid with the remaining egg yolk and place into an oven preheated to 180 degrees and cook for between 45 – 60 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite greens.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Peter Drayton Anomaly Vermentino 2018 or Comyns & Co Pinot Shiraz 2018
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...