Pepper Steak and Blue Cheese PieBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 clove of garlic
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 1 tspn of black peppercorns
- 500ml Guinness or dark ale
- 8 shallots peeled
- 1 tbsp vegemite
- 500gm bought puff pastry
- 100gm Stilton blue cheese or similar
- Celery salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine the diced beef with the Guinness, thyme, garlic and peppercorns and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- After marinating the beef drain and reserve the liquid. Pat dry the beef and dredge in seasoned flour and fry in small batches until brown and set aside.
- Then place the sealed beef into a casserole dish with the shallots and the marinade. Add the vegemite and cook gently over a low heat or in a low oven for approximately 2 and half hours.
- The meat should be very tender, season with celery salt and allow cooling.
- Grease a pie dish with butter. Then roll out the puff pastry and cut two discs – one large enough to line the dish and another to form the lid.
- Fill the lined pie dish with the beef mixture and then brush the edges with the egg yolk. Crumble the cheese over the top of the pie filling. Place the lid over the pie dish and seal with firm crimps or the back of a fork to adhere the two pieces of pastry.
- Brush the lid with the remaining egg yolk and place into an oven preheated to 180 degrees and cook for between 45 – 60 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite greens.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Peter Drayton Anomaly Vermentino 2018 or Comyns & Co Pinot Shiraz 2018
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ litres beef or vegetable stock ½ teaspoon of saffron 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced 1 stick of celery, slightly peeled, washed and finely diced Tablespoon of olive oil 200g-risotto rice, I use vialano nano 1 bay leaf Splash of good...