Pumpkin SconesBen O'Donoghue
- 500g Jap or Queensland blue pumpkin (skin on), cut into 4cm pieces
- 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 200g light sour cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemonade
- Jam and whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°c. Place pumpkin on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour or until golden and soft. Allow to cool, then scrape the flesh into a bowl, discarding skin and any darker flesh. mash the pumpkin until smooth, then measure out 1 cup (225g) for the scones. (any leftover pumpkin will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.)
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Add the sour cream and pumpkin and mix with a knife until well combined (using a knife helps keep the scones nice and light).
- Add the lemonade and continue to mix with the knife until the dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a floured board and use a palette knife to gently pat the dough into a 20cm x 25cm rectangle. Lightly dust with flour. Cut into 4 strips lengthways, then 5 strips widthways to form 20 squares.
- Transfer the scones to a baking paper-lined tray, leaving a 2-3cm gap between each. Bake for 12-15 minutes until a light golden and cooked through.
- Cool scones on a wire rack, then serve with jam and cream. you can freeze the scones for up to 2 months, then reheat in a microwave for 30-40 seconds.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...