Roast Duck PhoElena Duggan
- Raw carcass of 1 duck, reserve legs and breast meat for another dish
- 150g/ 1lge Onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- 1head Garlic, loosely broken up and lightly broken up
- 2 x 10cm thumbs Ginger, lightly lightly broken up
- 5-10 Star anise
- 10-15 Cloves
- 10-15 Black peppercorns
- 10-15 Coriander seeds
- 3 x 10cm Cinnamon sticks
- 3-5 Stalks coriander, separated roots and stems, reserve leaves, thoroughly washed
- 3kg Chicken stock
- 1kg Water
- 100g Fish sauce, or to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Granulated stevia or caster sugar to taste, optional
- Reserved pulled duck meat as per method
- Prepared flat rice noodles
- 150g / 1lge Onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- Thai basil, leaves only
- Vietnamese mint, leaves only
- 2 Spring onions, finely sliced on an angle
- Red chili, finely sliced
- Chili oil / chili sauce / XO sauce
- Hoisin sauce, to taste
- 1lge Lime, quartered
- 100g bean shoots
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160° Celsius.
- Using a cleaver, break duck carcass down into 2-5cm chunks, bones and all.
- In a large oven proof dish, or baking pan, the spices and aromats along the bottom, place all duck pieces on top.
- Roast for 35-45minutes or until well caramelised and fat is almost all rendered. Stir, shiffle or loosen twice during cooking. If you’d prefer a darker roast, soup flavour, you can add another 15minutes to the cooking time.
- Remove pan from oven and deglaze with approximately 500g of the chicken stock, dislodging any sediment. Place all contents into a large stock pot and add all remaining stock and water.
- Cook on a low simmer for 3-6 hours – alternatively on low in a slow cooker for 8 hours, or 90minutes in a pressure cooker.
- During cooking, 3-4times, skim off the scum that rises to the surface of the broth, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- You may need to add more water if necessary to keep the ingredients covered throughout cooking.
- After cooking, strain all solids, return all liquid to pot and continue simmering on low.
- Using food safe gloves to protect your hands from the heat, strip any duck flesh from the bones, ensuring no dislodged bone fragments are present, and put aside for serving
- Season the broth with the fish sauce and white pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide noodles, onion, chili, duck flesh among 4 soup bowls and top with the broth.
- Top all bowls with herbs and bean sprouts.
- Serve with the chili oil/ sauce, hoisin sauce, and lime wedges on the side.
- Gluten free
- Grain free, optional – use daikon noodles instead of rice noodles
- Sugar free, low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free
- Nut free
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...