Roast Duck PhoElena Duggan
- Raw carcass of 1 duck, reserve legs and breast meat for another dish
- 150g/ 1lge Onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- 1head Garlic, loosely broken up and lightly broken up
- 2 x 10cm thumbs Ginger, lightly lightly broken up
- 5-10 Star anise
- 10-15 Cloves
- 10-15 Black peppercorns
- 10-15 Coriander seeds
- 3 x 10cm Cinnamon sticks
- 3-5 Stalks coriander, separated roots and stems, reserve leaves, thoroughly washed
- 3kg Chicken stock
- 1kg Water
- 100g Fish sauce, or to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Granulated stevia or caster sugar to taste, optional
- Reserved pulled duck meat as per method
- Prepared flat rice noodles
- 150g / 1lge Onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- Thai basil, leaves only
- Vietnamese mint, leaves only
- 2 Spring onions, finely sliced on an angle
- Red chili, finely sliced
- Chili oil / chili sauce / XO sauce
- Hoisin sauce, to taste
- 1lge Lime, quartered
- 100g bean shoots
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160° Celsius.
- Using a cleaver, break duck carcass down into 2-5cm chunks, bones and all.
- In a large oven proof dish, or baking pan, the spices and aromats along the bottom, place all duck pieces on top.
- Roast for 35-45minutes or until well caramelised and fat is almost all rendered. Stir, shiffle or loosen twice during cooking. If you’d prefer a darker roast, soup flavour, you can add another 15minutes to the cooking time.
- Remove pan from oven and deglaze with approximately 500g of the chicken stock, dislodging any sediment. Place all contents into a large stock pot and add all remaining stock and water.
- Cook on a low simmer for 3-6 hours – alternatively on low in a slow cooker for 8 hours, or 90minutes in a pressure cooker.
- During cooking, 3-4times, skim off the scum that rises to the surface of the broth, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- You may need to add more water if necessary to keep the ingredients covered throughout cooking.
- After cooking, strain all solids, return all liquid to pot and continue simmering on low.
- Using food safe gloves to protect your hands from the heat, strip any duck flesh from the bones, ensuring no dislodged bone fragments are present, and put aside for serving
- Season the broth with the fish sauce and white pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide noodles, onion, chili, duck flesh among 4 soup bowls and top with the broth.
- Top all bowls with herbs and bean sprouts.
- Serve with the chili oil/ sauce, hoisin sauce, and lime wedges on the side.
- Gluten free
- Grain free, optional – use daikon noodles instead of rice noodles
- Sugar free, low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free
- Nut free
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...