Roast Duck PhoElena Duggan
- Raw carcass of 1 duck, reserve legs and breast meat for another dish
- 150g/ 1lge Onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- 1head Garlic, loosely broken up and lightly broken up
- 2 x 10cm thumbs Ginger, lightly lightly broken up
- 5-10 Star anise
- 10-15 Cloves
- 10-15 Black peppercorns
- 10-15 Coriander seeds
- 3 x 10cm Cinnamon sticks
- 3-5 Stalks coriander, separated roots and stems, reserve leaves, thoroughly washed
- 3kg Chicken stock
- 1kg Water
- 100g Fish sauce, or to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Granulated stevia or caster sugar to taste, optional
- Reserved pulled duck meat as per method
- Prepared flat rice noodles
- 150g / 1lge Onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- Thai basil, leaves only
- Vietnamese mint, leaves only
- 2 Spring onions, finely sliced on an angle
- Red chili, finely sliced
- Chili oil / chili sauce / XO sauce
- Hoisin sauce, to taste
- 1lge Lime, quartered
- 100g bean shoots
- Preheat fan forced oven to 160° Celsius.
- Using a cleaver, break duck carcass down into 2-5cm chunks, bones and all.
- In a large oven proof dish, or baking pan, the spices and aromats along the bottom, place all duck pieces on top.
- Roast for 35-45minutes or until well caramelised and fat is almost all rendered. Stir, shiffle or loosen twice during cooking. If you’d prefer a darker roast, soup flavour, you can add another 15minutes to the cooking time.
- Remove pan from oven and deglaze with approximately 500g of the chicken stock, dislodging any sediment. Place all contents into a large stock pot and add all remaining stock and water.
- Cook on a low simmer for 3-6 hours – alternatively on low in a slow cooker for 8 hours, or 90minutes in a pressure cooker.
- During cooking, 3-4times, skim off the scum that rises to the surface of the broth, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- You may need to add more water if necessary to keep the ingredients covered throughout cooking.
- After cooking, strain all solids, return all liquid to pot and continue simmering on low.
- Using food safe gloves to protect your hands from the heat, strip any duck flesh from the bones, ensuring no dislodged bone fragments are present, and put aside for serving
- Season the broth with the fish sauce and white pepper to taste.
- To serve, divide noodles, onion, chili, duck flesh among 4 soup bowls and top with the broth.
- Top all bowls with herbs and bean sprouts.
- Serve with the chili oil/ sauce, hoisin sauce, and lime wedges on the side.
- Gluten free
- Grain free, optional – use daikon noodles instead of rice noodles
- Sugar free, low fructose, zero refined sugar
- Dairy free
- Nut free
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...