Seafood ChowderBen O'Donoghue
Makes four good size portions
- 2kg pippies purged
- Fish stock
- 1 bottle of dry white wine
- 1 leek medium/large white only diced
- 80g butter
- 250g sweet cured streaky bacon diced
- 2 sticks of celery diced
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 1/2 bunch of thyme
- 1 pint of cream
- 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 handfuls of croutons cooked in clarified butter and seasoned
- Cook the pippies in batches, steaming them just open with all the white wine. Remove the pippie meat from the shells and retain the liquid and the meat separately.
- In a none- stick pot, melt the butter and add the leek and celery and gently cook without colour until soft and sweet. Then add the bacon and potato and cook until translucent.
- Sprinkle the bacon and veg with the flour and cook for about two minutes. Throw in the thyme whole then gradually add the pippie liquid stirring continuously until you smooth slightly thick soup.
- Allow to cook over a low heat until the potatoes are tender then add the cream. Adjust the seasoning with a touch of lemon and salt and pepper.
- To serve, add the pippie meat back to the soup to just warm through as if you cook them too much they will become tough. Garnish each bowl of chowder with some croutons and chopped parsley.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...