Seafood ChowderBen O'Donoghue
Makes four good size portions
- 2kg pippies purged
- Fish stock
- 1 bottle of dry white wine
- 1 leek medium/large white only diced
- 80g butter
- 250g sweet cured streaky bacon diced
- 2 sticks of celery diced
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 1/2 bunch of thyme
- 1 pint of cream
- 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 handfuls of croutons cooked in clarified butter and seasoned
- Cook the pippies in batches, steaming them just open with all the white wine. Remove the pippie meat from the shells and retain the liquid and the meat separately.
- In a none- stick pot, melt the butter and add the leek and celery and gently cook without colour until soft and sweet. Then add the bacon and potato and cook until translucent.
- Sprinkle the bacon and veg with the flour and cook for about two minutes. Throw in the thyme whole then gradually add the pippie liquid stirring continuously until you smooth slightly thick soup.
- Allow to cook over a low heat until the potatoes are tender then add the cream. Adjust the seasoning with a touch of lemon and salt and pepper.
- To serve, add the pippie meat back to the soup to just warm through as if you cook them too much they will become tough. Garnish each bowl of chowder with some croutons and chopped parsley.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...