Shanghainese Smoked FishLeslie Chan
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 5 carp, pomfret or kingfish steaks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp Shao Xing rice wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1⁄2 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame Oil
- Spring Onion and sesame seeds
- Wash and then dry fish steaks thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- Chop the steaks in half, chopping just to the side of the spine bone.
- Mix salt, five spice powder and white pepper, then sprinkle all over the fish steaks. Let marinate for 10 mins.
- Add all ingredients for the sauce into a small pot and stir over low heat for 5 minutes to get all the flavour
- Pour into a bowl big enough to fit all the fish and let cool to room temperature.
- Heat up 2 cups of oil in a small pot.
- Slide the fish into the hot oil, a couple of pieces at a time, and fry until the fish is a golden brown.
- Remove to kitchen paper covered plates to let excess oil drain off. Repeat for all pieces of fish.
- When the fish has cooled, add them to the sauce, making sure the pieces are submerged into the sauce and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours before serving or cover and let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Place the fish onto a serving plate and drizzle with the sauce.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Rose’.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...