Shanghainese Smoked FishLeslie Chan
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 5 carp, pomfret or kingfish steaks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp Shao Xing rice wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1⁄2 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame Oil
- Spring Onion and sesame seeds
- Wash and then dry fish steaks thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- Chop the steaks in half, chopping just to the side of the spine bone.
- Mix salt, five spice powder and white pepper, then sprinkle all over the fish steaks. Let marinate for 10 mins.
- Add all ingredients for the sauce into a small pot and stir over low heat for 5 minutes to get all the flavour
- Pour into a bowl big enough to fit all the fish and let cool to room temperature.
- Heat up 2 cups of oil in a small pot.
- Slide the fish into the hot oil, a couple of pieces at a time, and fry until the fish is a golden brown.
- Remove to kitchen paper covered plates to let excess oil drain off. Repeat for all pieces of fish.
- When the fish has cooled, add them to the sauce, making sure the pieces are submerged into the sauce and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours before serving or cover and let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Place the fish onto a serving plate and drizzle with the sauce.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Rose’.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...