Shanghainese Smoked FishLeslie Chan
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 5 carp, pomfret or kingfish steaks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp Shao Xing rice wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1⁄2 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame Oil
- Spring Onion and sesame seeds
- Wash and then dry fish steaks thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- Chop the steaks in half, chopping just to the side of the spine bone.
- Mix salt, five spice powder and white pepper, then sprinkle all over the fish steaks. Let marinate for 10 mins.
- Add all ingredients for the sauce into a small pot and stir over low heat for 5 minutes to get all the flavour
- Pour into a bowl big enough to fit all the fish and let cool to room temperature.
- Heat up 2 cups of oil in a small pot.
- Slide the fish into the hot oil, a couple of pieces at a time, and fry until the fish is a golden brown.
- Remove to kitchen paper covered plates to let excess oil drain off. Repeat for all pieces of fish.
- When the fish has cooled, add them to the sauce, making sure the pieces are submerged into the sauce and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours before serving or cover and let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Place the fish onto a serving plate and drizzle with the sauce.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Rose’.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...