Smashed Peas on ToastElena Duggan
- 500g frozen peas, defrosted
- 50g EVOO
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with salt
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 75g EVOO
- 25g Parmesan cheese, finely grated, extra to serve
- ½ bunch Mint, leaves only, shredded, extra to serve
- ½ bunch Pea shoots
- 4 slices homemade bread (GF/ SF)
- 8 eggs
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, Murray River pink, to taste
- For extra good fats and protein add smoked or freshly cooked salmon to each dish.
- Very briefly blanche peas in boiling water, drain well.
- In a food processor pulse blitz peas and EVOO until a coarse puree texture, put aside. Peas can last like this in the fridge in an airtight container, if you’d like to prep ahead of time
- In a bowl mix peas, garlic, lemon juice and zest, Parmesan, mint and enough EVOO to loosen mixture.
- To poach the eggs, bring to the boil a large saucepan approx. 4L of water, and then reduce to a gentle simmer. Create a whirlpool in the barely bubbling water. Crack each egg into a small bowl, before gently sliding it into the centre of the whirlpool. Repeat until all cooked. For runny yolks, scoop out eggs when all white has just turned opaque, with a spider strainer and place on paper towel if necessary for extra drainage.
- Whilst eggs are poaching, toast your bread and place a generous scoop of your pea mixture on top creating a slight well for the eggs to rest on.
- Place two poached eggs on top and serve with extra Parmesan, mint and pea shoots, pepper and salt to taste.
- If you’re more confident boiling eggs, peeled soft-boiled eggs are an easy poached egg replacement, or can be cooked ahead of time for faster prep.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low Fructose / zero refined sugar
- Keto Friendly
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...