Spiced BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons good-quality curry powder
- 1 dried bird’s eye chilli, seeded and crushed
- 70ml olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1x 1.6 kg chicken
- 2 bunches rosemary
- 1–2 bunches fresh bay leaves
- Smash the garlic in a mortar with a little salt. Add all the lemon zest and half the lemon juice. Add the curry powder, chilli and olive oil. Season with pepper and mix well.
- Remove the excess fat from around the chicken’s backside and neck.
- Starting at the neck end, carefully separate the skin from the meat, by sliding your hand under the skin, being careful not to break the skin. Do this to the whole chicken.
- Using your hands, gently massage the spice paste everywhere under the skin of the chicken, and over the outside.
- Prepare your barbecue for indirect cooking over a medium-high heat (180–200°C degrees if you have a thermometer).
- Place the chicken directly on the grill, breast side up. Cover with the hood and cook for about 15 minutes, until the chicken begins to colour.
- Plunge the herbs into fresh water to wet them well. Lift up the chicken and place the wet herbs directly underneath. Place the chicken over the herbs, bum side up.
- Drizzle the remaining lemon juice over the chicken. Replace the hood and cook for 40–45 minutes, until the juices from the chicken run clear when the thigh is pierced.
- Once cooked, allow to rest for 10–15 minutes.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with Red Spinifex Garcon Grenache 2018 or White Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling 2013
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...