Spiced BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons good-quality curry powder
- 1 dried bird’s eye chilli, seeded and crushed
- 70ml olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1x 1.6 kg chicken
- 2 bunches rosemary
- 1–2 bunches fresh bay leaves
- Smash the garlic in a mortar with a little salt. Add all the lemon zest and half the lemon juice. Add the curry powder, chilli and olive oil. Season with pepper and mix well.
- Remove the excess fat from around the chicken’s backside and neck.
- Starting at the neck end, carefully separate the skin from the meat, by sliding your hand under the skin, being careful not to break the skin. Do this to the whole chicken.
- Using your hands, gently massage the spice paste everywhere under the skin of the chicken, and over the outside.
- Prepare your barbecue for indirect cooking over a medium-high heat (180–200°C degrees if you have a thermometer).
- Place the chicken directly on the grill, breast side up. Cover with the hood and cook for about 15 minutes, until the chicken begins to colour.
- Plunge the herbs into fresh water to wet them well. Lift up the chicken and place the wet herbs directly underneath. Place the chicken over the herbs, bum side up.
- Drizzle the remaining lemon juice over the chicken. Replace the hood and cook for 40–45 minutes, until the juices from the chicken run clear when the thigh is pierced.
- Once cooked, allow to rest for 10–15 minutes.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with Red Spinifex Garcon Grenache 2018 or White Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling 2013
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...