Spiced BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons good-quality curry powder
- 1 dried bird’s eye chilli, seeded and crushed
- 70ml olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1x 1.6 kg chicken
- 2 bunches rosemary
- 1–2 bunches fresh bay leaves
- Smash the garlic in a mortar with a little salt. Add all the lemon zest and half the lemon juice. Add the curry powder, chilli and olive oil. Season with pepper and mix well.
- Remove the excess fat from around the chicken’s backside and neck.
- Starting at the neck end, carefully separate the skin from the meat, by sliding your hand under the skin, being careful not to break the skin. Do this to the whole chicken.
- Using your hands, gently massage the spice paste everywhere under the skin of the chicken, and over the outside.
- Prepare your barbecue for indirect cooking over a medium-high heat (180–200°C degrees if you have a thermometer).
- Place the chicken directly on the grill, breast side up. Cover with the hood and cook for about 15 minutes, until the chicken begins to colour.
- Plunge the herbs into fresh water to wet them well. Lift up the chicken and place the wet herbs directly underneath. Place the chicken over the herbs, bum side up.
- Drizzle the remaining lemon juice over the chicken. Replace the hood and cook for 40–45 minutes, until the juices from the chicken run clear when the thigh is pierced.
- Once cooked, allow to rest for 10–15 minutes.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with Red Spinifex Garcon Grenache 2018 or White Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling 2013
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...