Spiced BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons good-quality curry powder
- 1 dried bird’s eye chilli, seeded and crushed
- 70ml olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1x 1.6 kg chicken
- 2 bunches rosemary
- 1–2 bunches fresh bay leaves
- Smash the garlic in a mortar with a little salt. Add all the lemon zest and half the lemon juice. Add the curry powder, chilli and olive oil. Season with pepper and mix well.
- Remove the excess fat from around the chicken’s backside and neck.
- Starting at the neck end, carefully separate the skin from the meat, by sliding your hand under the skin, being careful not to break the skin. Do this to the whole chicken.
- Using your hands, gently massage the spice paste everywhere under the skin of the chicken, and over the outside.
- Prepare your barbecue for indirect cooking over a medium-high heat (180–200°C degrees if you have a thermometer).
- Place the chicken directly on the grill, breast side up. Cover with the hood and cook for about 15 minutes, until the chicken begins to colour.
- Plunge the herbs into fresh water to wet them well. Lift up the chicken and place the wet herbs directly underneath. Place the chicken over the herbs, bum side up.
- Drizzle the remaining lemon juice over the chicken. Replace the hood and cook for 40–45 minutes, until the juices from the chicken run clear when the thigh is pierced.
- Once cooked, allow to rest for 10–15 minutes.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with Red Spinifex Garcon Grenache 2018 or White Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling 2013
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...