Steak and ChipsElena Duggan
- 1.6-2.1kg Rib eye with bone in, or Tomahawk cut (thick cut)
- 50g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1.5kg Royal blue or Sebago potatoes, scrubbed well, sliced into 5-7mm rounds.
- 10g / 2tsp Onion powder
- 5g / 1tsp Sweet paprika
- 2.5g / ½ tsp White pepper
- 5g / 1tsp Salt
- 100g EVOO
- 2lge Lemons, zest and reserve juice
- 50g Red wine vinegar (optional, above lemon juice can be used in substitute)
- 25g / 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 large Anchovy fillets, diced
- 1 bunch Coriander, leaves only, finely diced
- 1 bunch Flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely diced
- ½ bunch Oregano, leaves only, diced
- ½ bunch Thyme, leaves only, diced
- 1 medium Red onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 long Red chili, deseeded, finely diced
- 200g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- For the steak, remove the meat from the fridge at 20-40minutes before cooking to return it to room temperature. Coat all sides of steak generously with EVOO, pepper and salt. Set aside for up to 10minutes.
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Sear or seal on all sides including the width and along the bone, up to a minute each side, before settling on one side, close barbecue hood and cook for up to 15minutes before testing internal temperature with a meat thermometer – remove when desired doneness is achieved as below:
55-60°C for very rare up to rare
70°C for medium
- Allow meat to rest for up to ten minutes before serving, carve and present on board or carve at the table for your guests.
- While the meat is coming up to room temperature and sitting, prepare the potatoes. Preheat the flat side of the barbecue to med-high.
- In a large bowl mix the spices, oil and potatoes thoroughly to ensure all slices are evenly coated.
- Cook on the flat side of the barbecue, whilst flipping regularly to ensure even cooking for the first 5minutes. Potatoes may take up to 20minutes, you can close the lid for 5-10minutes at a time between flipping. Potato chips should be cooked through and crisping on the edges, some char is okay, but cook to your desired crispness.
- Whilst the meat is resting and the potatoes are cooking, prepare the chimichurri. Place all solids into a large mortar and pestle and pound and grind until a rough paste is formed.
- Loosen and mix with EVOO and acidity. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Alternatively, you can use a food processor to combine the ingredients, but this may result in a much smoother paste without a pleasing textural and visual difference among the ingredients.
- Serve steak, chips and a generous bowl of chimichurri on a shared board for guests to serve themselves.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Shiraz or GSM.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...