Steak and ChipsElena Duggan
- 1.6-2.1kg Rib eye with bone in, or Tomahawk cut (thick cut)
- 50g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1.5kg Royal blue or Sebago potatoes, scrubbed well, sliced into 5-7mm rounds.
- 10g / 2tsp Onion powder
- 5g / 1tsp Sweet paprika
- 2.5g / ½ tsp White pepper
- 5g / 1tsp Salt
- 100g EVOO
- 2lge Lemons, zest and reserve juice
- 50g Red wine vinegar (optional, above lemon juice can be used in substitute)
- 25g / 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 large Anchovy fillets, diced
- 1 bunch Coriander, leaves only, finely diced
- 1 bunch Flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely diced
- ½ bunch Oregano, leaves only, diced
- ½ bunch Thyme, leaves only, diced
- 1 medium Red onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 long Red chili, deseeded, finely diced
- 200g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- For the steak, remove the meat from the fridge at 20-40minutes before cooking to return it to room temperature. Coat all sides of steak generously with EVOO, pepper and salt. Set aside for up to 10minutes.
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Sear or seal on all sides including the width and along the bone, up to a minute each side, before settling on one side, close barbecue hood and cook for up to 15minutes before testing internal temperature with a meat thermometer – remove when desired doneness is achieved as below:
55-60°C for very rare up to rare
70°C for medium
- Allow meat to rest for up to ten minutes before serving, carve and present on board or carve at the table for your guests.
- While the meat is coming up to room temperature and sitting, prepare the potatoes. Preheat the flat side of the barbecue to med-high.
- In a large bowl mix the spices, oil and potatoes thoroughly to ensure all slices are evenly coated.
- Cook on the flat side of the barbecue, whilst flipping regularly to ensure even cooking for the first 5minutes. Potatoes may take up to 20minutes, you can close the lid for 5-10minutes at a time between flipping. Potato chips should be cooked through and crisping on the edges, some char is okay, but cook to your desired crispness.
- Whilst the meat is resting and the potatoes are cooking, prepare the chimichurri. Place all solids into a large mortar and pestle and pound and grind until a rough paste is formed.
- Loosen and mix with EVOO and acidity. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Alternatively, you can use a food processor to combine the ingredients, but this may result in a much smoother paste without a pleasing textural and visual difference among the ingredients.
- Serve steak, chips and a generous bowl of chimichurri on a shared board for guests to serve themselves.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Shiraz or GSM.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...