Steak and ChipsElena Duggan
- 1.6-2.1kg Rib eye with bone in, or Tomahawk cut (thick cut)
- 50g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1.5kg Royal blue or Sebago potatoes, scrubbed well, sliced into 5-7mm rounds.
- 10g / 2tsp Onion powder
- 5g / 1tsp Sweet paprika
- 2.5g / ½ tsp White pepper
- 5g / 1tsp Salt
- 100g EVOO
- 2lge Lemons, zest and reserve juice
- 50g Red wine vinegar (optional, above lemon juice can be used in substitute)
- 25g / 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 large Anchovy fillets, diced
- 1 bunch Coriander, leaves only, finely diced
- 1 bunch Flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely diced
- ½ bunch Oregano, leaves only, diced
- ½ bunch Thyme, leaves only, diced
- 1 medium Red onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 long Red chili, deseeded, finely diced
- 200g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- For the steak, remove the meat from the fridge at 20-40minutes before cooking to return it to room temperature. Coat all sides of steak generously with EVOO, pepper and salt. Set aside for up to 10minutes.
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Sear or seal on all sides including the width and along the bone, up to a minute each side, before settling on one side, close barbecue hood and cook for up to 15minutes before testing internal temperature with a meat thermometer – remove when desired doneness is achieved as below:
55-60°C for very rare up to rare
70°C for medium
- Allow meat to rest for up to ten minutes before serving, carve and present on board or carve at the table for your guests.
- While the meat is coming up to room temperature and sitting, prepare the potatoes. Preheat the flat side of the barbecue to med-high.
- In a large bowl mix the spices, oil and potatoes thoroughly to ensure all slices are evenly coated.
- Cook on the flat side of the barbecue, whilst flipping regularly to ensure even cooking for the first 5minutes. Potatoes may take up to 20minutes, you can close the lid for 5-10minutes at a time between flipping. Potato chips should be cooked through and crisping on the edges, some char is okay, but cook to your desired crispness.
- Whilst the meat is resting and the potatoes are cooking, prepare the chimichurri. Place all solids into a large mortar and pestle and pound and grind until a rough paste is formed.
- Loosen and mix with EVOO and acidity. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Alternatively, you can use a food processor to combine the ingredients, but this may result in a much smoother paste without a pleasing textural and visual difference among the ingredients.
- Serve steak, chips and a generous bowl of chimichurri on a shared board for guests to serve themselves.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Shiraz or GSM.
Ingredients: 4 duck breast 1 tablspoon brown sugar ½ tablespoon salt ¼ bunch thyme 1 tsp five spice butter garlic Sauce 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges) segments of one orange 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 to 4...
Ingredients: Serve 4 4 thick King salmon or Atlantic salmon Vegetable oil Lime wedges Marinade 2 pinches of salt 2 teaspoons chilli powder juice of 1 lime 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons garlic paste 2 teaspoons ginger paste Crust 180g white split peas (urad dal) 1...
Ingredients: Mornay Sauce 25gm unsalted butter 25gm Laucke plain flour 1 cup full cream milk 80gm Gruyere cheese grated Salt White pepper For the Sandwich Four thick slices white bread 100gm unsalted butter 2 tsp Dijon mustard 4 slices Gruyere cheese (80gm) 200gm...
Ingredients: 500g kangaroo sirloin cut into thin strips 2 tablespoons cornflour 2 tablespoon sunflower oil for frying 2 green capsicums – cut into strips 2 bunch of broccolini – bottom end removed and cut in half 1 bunch green onions – green and whites finely chopped...
Ingredients: Makes Two 4 rounds or Rye bread slices 300gm sliced pastrami 100gm sauerkraut 200gm comte cheese or cheddar 2 large garlic and dill pickles cut in half 4 tbsp kewpie mayo 1 tbsp hot English mustard 100gm butter soft Method: Combine the hot English mustard...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 4 eggs separated 1 cup butter milk 1 cup ricotta 1 cup corn frozen 1 small bunch coriander leaves chopped 1 lg smashed avo 200gm chopped tomatoes 1/4 medium red onion sliced 1 clove of garlic chopped...