Steak and ChipsElena Duggan
- 1.6-2.1kg Rib eye with bone in, or Tomahawk cut (thick cut)
- 50g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1.5kg Royal blue or Sebago potatoes, scrubbed well, sliced into 5-7mm rounds.
- 10g / 2tsp Onion powder
- 5g / 1tsp Sweet paprika
- 2.5g / ½ tsp White pepper
- 5g / 1tsp Salt
- 100g EVOO
- 2lge Lemons, zest and reserve juice
- 50g Red wine vinegar (optional, above lemon juice can be used in substitute)
- 25g / 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 large Anchovy fillets, diced
- 1 bunch Coriander, leaves only, finely diced
- 1 bunch Flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely diced
- ½ bunch Oregano, leaves only, diced
- ½ bunch Thyme, leaves only, diced
- 1 medium Red onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 long Red chili, deseeded, finely diced
- 200g EVOO
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- For the steak, remove the meat from the fridge at 20-40minutes before cooking to return it to room temperature. Coat all sides of steak generously with EVOO, pepper and salt. Set aside for up to 10minutes.
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Sear or seal on all sides including the width and along the bone, up to a minute each side, before settling on one side, close barbecue hood and cook for up to 15minutes before testing internal temperature with a meat thermometer – remove when desired doneness is achieved as below:
55-60°C for very rare up to rare
70°C for medium
- Allow meat to rest for up to ten minutes before serving, carve and present on board or carve at the table for your guests.
- While the meat is coming up to room temperature and sitting, prepare the potatoes. Preheat the flat side of the barbecue to med-high.
- In a large bowl mix the spices, oil and potatoes thoroughly to ensure all slices are evenly coated.
- Cook on the flat side of the barbecue, whilst flipping regularly to ensure even cooking for the first 5minutes. Potatoes may take up to 20minutes, you can close the lid for 5-10minutes at a time between flipping. Potato chips should be cooked through and crisping on the edges, some char is okay, but cook to your desired crispness.
- Whilst the meat is resting and the potatoes are cooking, prepare the chimichurri. Place all solids into a large mortar and pestle and pound and grind until a rough paste is formed.
- Loosen and mix with EVOO and acidity. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Alternatively, you can use a food processor to combine the ingredients, but this may result in a much smoother paste without a pleasing textural and visual difference among the ingredients.
- Serve steak, chips and a generous bowl of chimichurri on a shared board for guests to serve themselves.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Shiraz or GSM.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...