Steak SandwichBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg skirt or flank steak, trimmed of sinew, but leave the fat
- 12 pide pieces, split in half lengthways
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long red chillies
- 250ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100ml kecap manis
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 75g butter
- 5 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Prepare the marinade by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and blitzing. Rub into the trimmed steak and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, but for the best flavour for 2 days.
- Prepare the onion confit by melting the butter over a low heat. Add the onions, sugar and rosemary, and cook slowly until soft, golden and sweet. The confit can be made in advance and will keep for 1 month in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container.
- To make the honey–mustard mayo, simply combine all ingredients well.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, pat it dry and allow to come to room temperature.
- Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. I recommend that you cook the steak to medium-rare and no more. Once cooked, allow the steak to rest.
- Place the marinade in a small saucepan and cook until reduced.
- To make each steak sandwich, spread the untoasted side of the bread with onion confit, add tomato and rocket, and dress with the mayonnaise. Slice the meat thinly, dress with the reduced marinade, place on top of your salad and top with a slice of toasted bread.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...