Steak SandwichBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg skirt or flank steak, trimmed of sinew, but leave the fat
- 12 pide pieces, split in half lengthways
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long red chillies
- 250ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100ml kecap manis
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 75g butter
- 5 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Prepare the marinade by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and blitzing. Rub into the trimmed steak and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, but for the best flavour for 2 days.
- Prepare the onion confit by melting the butter over a low heat. Add the onions, sugar and rosemary, and cook slowly until soft, golden and sweet. The confit can be made in advance and will keep for 1 month in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container.
- To make the honey–mustard mayo, simply combine all ingredients well.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, pat it dry and allow to come to room temperature.
- Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. I recommend that you cook the steak to medium-rare and no more. Once cooked, allow the steak to rest.
- Place the marinade in a small saucepan and cook until reduced.
- To make each steak sandwich, spread the untoasted side of the bread with onion confit, add tomato and rocket, and dress with the mayonnaise. Slice the meat thinly, dress with the reduced marinade, place on top of your salad and top with a slice of toasted bread.
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...