Steak SandwichBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg skirt or flank steak, trimmed of sinew, but leave the fat
- 12 pide pieces, split in half lengthways
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long red chillies
- 250ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100ml kecap manis
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 75g butter
- 5 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Prepare the marinade by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and blitzing. Rub into the trimmed steak and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, but for the best flavour for 2 days.
- Prepare the onion confit by melting the butter over a low heat. Add the onions, sugar and rosemary, and cook slowly until soft, golden and sweet. The confit can be made in advance and will keep for 1 month in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container.
- To make the honey–mustard mayo, simply combine all ingredients well.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, pat it dry and allow to come to room temperature.
- Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. I recommend that you cook the steak to medium-rare and no more. Once cooked, allow the steak to rest.
- Place the marinade in a small saucepan and cook until reduced.
- To make each steak sandwich, spread the untoasted side of the bread with onion confit, add tomato and rocket, and dress with the mayonnaise. Slice the meat thinly, dress with the reduced marinade, place on top of your salad and top with a slice of toasted bread.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...