Steak SandwichBen O'Donoghue
- 1kg skirt or flank steak, trimmed of sinew, but leave the fat
- 12 pide pieces, split in half lengthways
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long red chillies
- 250ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100ml kecap manis
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 75g butter
- 5 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- Prepare the marinade by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and blitzing. Rub into the trimmed steak and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, but for the best flavour for 2 days.
- Prepare the onion confit by melting the butter over a low heat. Add the onions, sugar and rosemary, and cook slowly until soft, golden and sweet. The confit can be made in advance and will keep for 1 month in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container.
- To make the honey–mustard mayo, simply combine all ingredients well.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, pat it dry and allow to come to room temperature.
- Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. I recommend that you cook the steak to medium-rare and no more. Once cooked, allow the steak to rest.
- Place the marinade in a small saucepan and cook until reduced.
- To make each steak sandwich, spread the untoasted side of the bread with onion confit, add tomato and rocket, and dress with the mayonnaise. Slice the meat thinly, dress with the reduced marinade, place on top of your salad and top with a slice of toasted bread.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...