Sweet and Sour Pork with StrawberriesBen O'Donoghue
- 750g pork belly
- 100ml soy sauce
- 500ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber pickled
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple pickled
- 1/2 cup strawberries cut in half or quarters
- 1/4 cup coriander picked leaves
- Pickling liquid
- 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 150ml pineapple juice
- 150ml rice wine vinegar
- 100g tomato ketchup
- 150g rock sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup plain flower
- 1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 50ml vodka
- Ice cold sparkling water
- Marinate the pork belly in the soy sauce for a minimum of two hours turning several times or over night. Then place in a steamer and steam for 1 hour until tender.
- Remove from the steamer and allow it to cool. This can be done the day before.
- Slice into 1-2cm thick slices 2/3 per portion
- Place all the ingredients in a small pot and bring to the boil. Let stand to cool then pour over the cut pineapple and cucumber and marinate for 1 hour then drain.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- To make the sauce place all the ingredients except the corn flour and water in a pot and bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar.
- Taste the sauce to see if you need more sugar if you like it sweeter. Mix the enough water with the corn flour to make a slurry and whisk it into the boiling sauce a little at a time until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. And set aside.
- Make the batter just before you cook the pork. The colder it is the better. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then whisk in the vodka and enough cold sparkling water to make a batter the consistency of pouring cream.
- To cook the pork, heat your veg oil in a work until it is hot. Check this by dropping a little batter into the oil and if it spatters and sizzles it is hot enough. Dredge your pork slices in the batter to coat and carefully place into the hot oil. Cook until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place onto absorbent paper towel and cook the remaining pork slices.
- Arrange your pickled pineapple and cucumber on a platter along with some of you cut strawberries. Place the pork slices on top and finally add the remaining strawberries and pickled cucumber.
- Drizzle liberally with the hot sauce and garnish with coriander leaves.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...