Sweet and Sour Pork with StrawberriesBen O'Donoghue
- 750g pork belly
- 100ml soy sauce
- 500ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber pickled
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple pickled
- 1/2 cup strawberries cut in half or quarters
- 1/4 cup coriander picked leaves
- Pickling liquid
- 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 150ml pineapple juice
- 150ml rice wine vinegar
- 100g tomato ketchup
- 150g rock sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup plain flower
- 1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 50ml vodka
- Ice cold sparkling water
- Marinate the pork belly in the soy sauce for a minimum of two hours turning several times or over night. Then place in a steamer and steam for 1 hour until tender.
- Remove from the steamer and allow it to cool. This can be done the day before.
- Slice into 1-2cm thick slices 2/3 per portion
- Place all the ingredients in a small pot and bring to the boil. Let stand to cool then pour over the cut pineapple and cucumber and marinate for 1 hour then drain.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- To make the sauce place all the ingredients except the corn flour and water in a pot and bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar.
- Taste the sauce to see if you need more sugar if you like it sweeter. Mix the enough water with the corn flour to make a slurry and whisk it into the boiling sauce a little at a time until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. And set aside.
- Make the batter just before you cook the pork. The colder it is the better. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then whisk in the vodka and enough cold sparkling water to make a batter the consistency of pouring cream.
- To cook the pork, heat your veg oil in a work until it is hot. Check this by dropping a little batter into the oil and if it spatters and sizzles it is hot enough. Dredge your pork slices in the batter to coat and carefully place into the hot oil. Cook until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place onto absorbent paper towel and cook the remaining pork slices.
- Arrange your pickled pineapple and cucumber on a platter along with some of you cut strawberries. Place the pork slices on top and finally add the remaining strawberries and pickled cucumber.
- Drizzle liberally with the hot sauce and garnish with coriander leaves.
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...