Sweet and Sour Pork with StrawberriesBen O'Donoghue
- 750g pork belly
- 100ml soy sauce
- 500ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber pickled
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple pickled
- 1/2 cup strawberries cut in half or quarters
- 1/4 cup coriander picked leaves
- Pickling liquid
- 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cloves of garlic
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 150ml pineapple juice
- 150ml rice wine vinegar
- 100g tomato ketchup
- 150g rock sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup plain flower
- 1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 50ml vodka
- Ice cold sparkling water
- Marinate the pork belly in the soy sauce for a minimum of two hours turning several times or over night. Then place in a steamer and steam for 1 hour until tender.
- Remove from the steamer and allow it to cool. This can be done the day before.
- Slice into 1-2cm thick slices 2/3 per portion
- Place all the ingredients in a small pot and bring to the boil. Let stand to cool then pour over the cut pineapple and cucumber and marinate for 1 hour then drain.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- To make the sauce place all the ingredients except the corn flour and water in a pot and bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar.
- Taste the sauce to see if you need more sugar if you like it sweeter. Mix the enough water with the corn flour to make a slurry and whisk it into the boiling sauce a little at a time until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. And set aside.
- Make the batter just before you cook the pork. The colder it is the better. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then whisk in the vodka and enough cold sparkling water to make a batter the consistency of pouring cream.
- To cook the pork, heat your veg oil in a work until it is hot. Check this by dropping a little batter into the oil and if it spatters and sizzles it is hot enough. Dredge your pork slices in the batter to coat and carefully place into the hot oil. Cook until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place onto absorbent paper towel and cook the remaining pork slices.
- Arrange your pickled pineapple and cucumber on a platter along with some of you cut strawberries. Place the pork slices on top and finally add the remaining strawberries and pickled cucumber.
- Drizzle liberally with the hot sauce and garnish with coriander leaves.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...