Tobie's BologneseTobie Puttock
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- Small handful of picked rosemary, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Teaspoon dried chili (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + extra for finishing
- 500g mince such as veal, beef or pork or a combination
- 200ml red wine
- 150ml milk
- 200ml stock
- 2 X (800g) tins chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Parmesan for grating
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over a medium/ high heat in a pot that’s large enough to hold all the ingredients. Add the onion, carrot, celery, rosemary, garlic and chili (if using) and sauté while stirring.
- After about ten minutes the vegetables should be soft, increase the heat to high and add the minced meat, break the meat up using the spoon and cook it for 2-3 minutes or until it has started to brown.
- Add the wine and allow it to almost completely evaporate before adding the stock, milk and tomatoes. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer for 30-40 minutes or until you have a thick and luscious sauce, at this stage you can adjust the seasoning with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- To serve ladle hot sauce into a mixing bowl, add hot spaghetti and a splash of best quality extra virgin olive oil. Finish with freshly grated parmesan.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sangiovese.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...