Tobie's BologneseTobie Puttock
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- Small handful of picked rosemary, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Teaspoon dried chili (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + extra for finishing
- 500g mince such as veal, beef or pork or a combination
- 200ml red wine
- 150ml milk
- 200ml stock
- 2 X (800g) tins chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Parmesan for grating
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over a medium/ high heat in a pot that’s large enough to hold all the ingredients. Add the onion, carrot, celery, rosemary, garlic and chili (if using) and sauté while stirring.
- After about ten minutes the vegetables should be soft, increase the heat to high and add the minced meat, break the meat up using the spoon and cook it for 2-3 minutes or until it has started to brown.
- Add the wine and allow it to almost completely evaporate before adding the stock, milk and tomatoes. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer for 30-40 minutes or until you have a thick and luscious sauce, at this stage you can adjust the seasoning with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- To serve ladle hot sauce into a mixing bowl, add hot spaghetti and a splash of best quality extra virgin olive oil. Finish with freshly grated parmesan.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sangiovese.
Ingredients: 2 cup caster sugar 2 cups soy sauce 1 cup shao-hsing wine 3L water 2 inch piece ginger 8 cloves garlic 6 spring onions, 5cm batons 8 star anise 8 coriander seeds 4 cinnamon quills 4 cloves 2 pork trotters Method: Place an even layer of sugar in a large...
Ingredients: 2 cups of black-eyed beans 1 bunch of English spinach (or baby spinach, if preferred), Roughly chopped and thoroughly washed 6 spring onions, finely chopped 1 onion, sliced 1/2 cup of olive oil 1 tbsp white wine vinegar juice of 1 lemon a few sprigs of...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes and Big4 Holiday Parks Assortment of Sausages 100ml Mayonnaise ½ bulb of roasted black garlic ½ lemon juiced Long metal skewers Method: Grill your sausages on your bbq until...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian InspirationsSalmon: 200g Fresh Australian salmon, skin on, pin bones removed 50ml Vegetable oil Miso Glaze: 50g White miso paste 50ml Obento Mirin Seasoning 50g Sugar Togarashi Crackers: 1 each...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra 1 brown onion, finely grated 2 cloves garlic, finely grated 1g saffron threads 400g Arborio Rice ½ cup dry white wine 1.5 Litres Vegetable stock 50g unsalted butter 125g parmesan, finely grated Method:...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...