Tobie's BologneseTobie Puttock
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- Small handful of picked rosemary, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Teaspoon dried chili (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + extra for finishing
- 500g mince such as veal, beef or pork or a combination
- 200ml red wine
- 150ml milk
- 200ml stock
- 2 X (800g) tins chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Parmesan for grating
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over a medium/ high heat in a pot that’s large enough to hold all the ingredients. Add the onion, carrot, celery, rosemary, garlic and chili (if using) and sauté while stirring.
- After about ten minutes the vegetables should be soft, increase the heat to high and add the minced meat, break the meat up using the spoon and cook it for 2-3 minutes or until it has started to brown.
- Add the wine and allow it to almost completely evaporate before adding the stock, milk and tomatoes. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer for 30-40 minutes or until you have a thick and luscious sauce, at this stage you can adjust the seasoning with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- To serve ladle hot sauce into a mixing bowl, add hot spaghetti and a splash of best quality extra virgin olive oil. Finish with freshly grated parmesan.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sangiovese.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...