Vegetarian Eggplant Katsu Curry on RiceElena Duggan
- 500g / 1lge Eggplant, cut into half in length, then 1cm semi circle slices
- 100g Rice flour, fine
- Pinch salt
- 2lge Eggs, beaten
- 250g Obento Panko Bread Crumbs
- 250g Peanut Oil
- 92g S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix
- Up to 500g Boiling water, more if a soupy consistency is desired
- 250g Onion, 1cm dice
- 250g Potato, 1cm dice
- 250g Carrot, 1cm dice
- 500g Cooked Japanese rice
- Obento Tonkatsu sauce
Optional to Serve:
- Pickled red daikon
- Mix salad greens
- Fresh sliced tomato
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Spring onions, finely sliced
- Boiled eggs
- To prepare the eggplant, flour each piece all sides, shake off any excess, then coat in egg wash, followed by panko breadcrumbs. You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate if desired.
- To fry the eggplant, heat oil in a medium non-stick fry pan to a medium high heat. Fry in batches, turning once or twice until golden brown and crunchy. Drain well over paper towel or a drying rack on a tray.
- To prepare the curry, preheat a medium non-stick fry pan to a medium high-heat. Stir-fry the curry paste until fragrant, deglaze, break up and thoroughly stir through water until a sauce is forming. Add all vegetables and reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until vegetables have softened through.
- To serve, place a bed of rice followed by curry then topped with eggplant katsu, sauce and optional toppings.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...