Vegetarian Eggplant Katsu Curry on RiceElena Duggan
- 500g / 1lge Eggplant, cut into half in length, then 1cm semi circle slices
- 100g Rice flour, fine
- Pinch salt
- 2lge Eggs, beaten
- 250g Obento Panko Bread Crumbs
- 250g Peanut Oil
- 92g S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix
- Up to 500g Boiling water, more if a soupy consistency is desired
- 250g Onion, 1cm dice
- 250g Potato, 1cm dice
- 250g Carrot, 1cm dice
- 500g Cooked Japanese rice
- Obento Tonkatsu sauce
Optional to Serve:
- Pickled red daikon
- Mix salad greens
- Fresh sliced tomato
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Spring onions, finely sliced
- Boiled eggs
- To prepare the eggplant, flour each piece all sides, shake off any excess, then coat in egg wash, followed by panko breadcrumbs. You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate if desired.
- To fry the eggplant, heat oil in a medium non-stick fry pan to a medium high heat. Fry in batches, turning once or twice until golden brown and crunchy. Drain well over paper towel or a drying rack on a tray.
- To prepare the curry, preheat a medium non-stick fry pan to a medium high-heat. Stir-fry the curry paste until fragrant, deglaze, break up and thoroughly stir through water until a sauce is forming. Add all vegetables and reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until vegetables have softened through.
- To serve, place a bed of rice followed by curry then topped with eggplant katsu, sauce and optional toppings.
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...
Ingredients: 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 1 green banana chilli, sliced 1 bunch mint, picked 1 cup Indian style yoghurt Pinch of sea salt flakes ½ tsp garam masala powder ¼ tsp dry mango powder ¼ tsp fenugreek powder Vegetable oil for frying Method: Fry...
Ingredients: 500g good quality spaghettini Table salt (for pasta water) 8 birdseye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely, stem and leaf 250ml olive oil Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste A...