Vodka Cured Ocean TroutBen O'Donoghue
- 500gm of thick ocean trout fillet (all the same thickness)
- 1 cup of soft brown sugar
- 1 cup of salt flakes (Murray river or similar)
- 50mls of vodka
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100gm golden shallots finely diced
- ½ lemon (segments removed and cut into dices)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of dill diced
- 4 small butter lettuce cups
- 4 teaspoons of creme fraiche
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Split the vanilla pod and scrap out the seeds then mix the seeds into the vodka. Place the trout and the vanilla vodka into a small dish and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Chop up the leftover vanilla pod and mix with the salt and sugar.
- Cover the top and bottom of the trout with the vanilla sugar and salt mix and wrap with cling film and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Combine the finely diced shallots with the small-diced lemon pieces, olive oil and the chopped dill (keep four nice sprigs for garnish).
- Remove the trout from the salt and sugar and wash under cold water to remove any excess. Pat dry. Remove the skin and then dice the trout into even 1 cm cubes
- Place each lettuce cup into a small bowl or plate, divide the cubed trout between each cup, dress evenly with the shallot and lemon dressing.
- Top each with a teaspoon of creme fraiche and a sprig of dill and a twist of freshly cracked pepper.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Chartley Estate Pinot Noir 2017, or Josef Chromy Tasmanian Cuvée NV
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...