Vodka Cured Ocean TroutBen O'Donoghue
- 500gm of thick ocean trout fillet (all the same thickness)
- 1 cup of soft brown sugar
- 1 cup of salt flakes (Murray river or similar)
- 50mls of vodka
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100gm golden shallots finely diced
- ½ lemon (segments removed and cut into dices)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of dill diced
- 4 small butter lettuce cups
- 4 teaspoons of creme fraiche
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Split the vanilla pod and scrap out the seeds then mix the seeds into the vodka. Place the trout and the vanilla vodka into a small dish and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Chop up the leftover vanilla pod and mix with the salt and sugar.
- Cover the top and bottom of the trout with the vanilla sugar and salt mix and wrap with cling film and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Combine the finely diced shallots with the small-diced lemon pieces, olive oil and the chopped dill (keep four nice sprigs for garnish).
- Remove the trout from the salt and sugar and wash under cold water to remove any excess. Pat dry. Remove the skin and then dice the trout into even 1 cm cubes
- Place each lettuce cup into a small bowl or plate, divide the cubed trout between each cup, dress evenly with the shallot and lemon dressing.
- Top each with a teaspoon of creme fraiche and a sprig of dill and a twist of freshly cracked pepper.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Chartley Estate Pinot Noir 2017, or Josef Chromy Tasmanian Cuvée NV
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...