Vodka Cured Ocean TroutBen O'Donoghue
- 500gm of thick ocean trout fillet (all the same thickness)
- 1 cup of soft brown sugar
- 1 cup of salt flakes (Murray river or similar)
- 50mls of vodka
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100gm golden shallots finely diced
- ½ lemon (segments removed and cut into dices)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of dill diced
- 4 small butter lettuce cups
- 4 teaspoons of creme fraiche
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Split the vanilla pod and scrap out the seeds then mix the seeds into the vodka. Place the trout and the vanilla vodka into a small dish and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Chop up the leftover vanilla pod and mix with the salt and sugar.
- Cover the top and bottom of the trout with the vanilla sugar and salt mix and wrap with cling film and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Combine the finely diced shallots with the small-diced lemon pieces, olive oil and the chopped dill (keep four nice sprigs for garnish).
- Remove the trout from the salt and sugar and wash under cold water to remove any excess. Pat dry. Remove the skin and then dice the trout into even 1 cm cubes
- Place each lettuce cup into a small bowl or plate, divide the cubed trout between each cup, dress evenly with the shallot and lemon dressing.
- Top each with a teaspoon of creme fraiche and a sprig of dill and a twist of freshly cracked pepper.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Chartley Estate Pinot Noir 2017, or Josef Chromy Tasmanian Cuvée NV
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...