Dutch Pea and Ham SoupElena Duggan
- 500g Bacon, skin removed, diced
- 500g Green split peas (1 packet)
- 100g Carrot
- 250g White onions, finely diced
- 250g Celery with leaves, finely diced
- 250g Potatoes, finely diced
- 2med Leeks, finely sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, diced
- ½tsp Dried thyme
- ¼tsp Ground nutmeg
- ¼tsp Ground cloves
- 2L Water or chicken stock, reduced salt, additional may be needed
- Finely ground black pepper to serve
- Additional speck to serve
- Rye bread to serve
- Butter to serve
- In a slow cooker, place bacon, split peas, and stock and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until split peas are tender.
- Add vegetables, garlic, herbs and spices and cook for an additional 2-3 hours. Add additional water if necessary to cover all ingredients.
- Season with pepper and/or additional spices to taste before cooking for an additional hour. Up to 8 hours in total is likely to gain desired consistency.
- If you prefer your soup with chunky chewable pieces, serve as is. Alternatively and more commonly, using a stick blender, blitz until desired smooth consistency is achieved.
- Serve with fried crispy cubes of speck, alongside rye bread with lashings of butter.
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Moderate Fructose / zero refined sugar
- Keto Friendly
Ingredients: Serves 4 8 Moreton Bay bugs 200g thinly sliced dried pancetta 8 bay leaves 4 ripe figs, halved 2 tablespoons olive oil Juice of 1 lemon Method: Prepare your barbecue for direct grilling over a high heat. Prepare the bugs by removing the meat from the...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Teaspoon coconut sugar 6 freshly picked mint leaves Approx 500ml SodaStream Carbonated Water 10-15 assorted fresh berries One lime, halved Ice Method: Start by bringing together the coconut sugar and the mint in a food processor or alternatively...
Ingredients: Serves: 3 2 cup water 3 tbsp Valcom Tom Yum Paste 1 cup button mushrooms, halved 300g chicken fillet, sliced 1⁄4 cup TCC Premium Coconut Milk 4 tbsp Valcom Kaffir Lime Leaves 1 stalk coriander coarsely chopped 1 red chilli, cut diagonally Method: Bring...
Ingredients: Serves 4 2 medium eggplant 2 tablespoons of olive oil ½ cup miso paste 4 tablespoons mirin 2 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons sake White sesame seeds for garnish Method: Preheat the oven to 220C. Slice the eggplants in half and carefully score the eggplant...
Ingredients: Serves 4-6 1tbsp whole white peppercorns 2tbsp grated fresh turmeric 1 heaped tbsp grated fresh ginger 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 5 thinly sliced cloves Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve 5 coriander roots (from a fresh bunch) 1kg Ling, scaled,...