Harissa Carrot CakesElena Duggan
- 600g Carrots, chopped (or leftover from the night before)
- 400g can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed,1 bunch Coriander, leaves only
- 20g Cumin, ground
- 20g Coriander, ground
- 2lge Eggs, free range, organic
- 25g Harissa paste
- White pepper to taste
- Murray River salt to taste
- If mix is too moist, add up to 75g of falafel mix or GF bread crumbs
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- Remaining coriander from above
- 1 Lemon
- Place a pot of water over high heat and bring the boil. Place steaming basket on top and lid.
- Steam carrots until just tender and remove from heat. Place in a bowl and mash. Allow steam to escape and carrots to cool, striving to get them as dry as possible.
- Add chickpeas to carrots and mash together.
- Finely dice ¼ of the coriander leaves and add to the bowl along with the spices, harissa and egg.
- Combine thoroughly and using your hands form equal portioned balls, should make 8-10.
- Allow patties to cool whilst preparing the sauce.
- In a food processor, blitz lemon juice, remaining coriander leaves and yoghurt until smooth and vibrant green.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, heat oil to a medium high heat.
- Flatten chilled balls into a pattie shape and cook in batches for 2-3minutes each side until brown and crispy.
- Serve with coriander yoghurt and additional fresh leaves if desired.
- Well drained lentils can be used as an alternative to chickpeas
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose/ sugar free (optional – sweet potato or cauliflower could be used as a lower carb alternative to carrot)
- Nut free
- Dairy free, optional
- Vegan, optional –replace dairy yoghurt with coconut yoghurt
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...