Harissa Carrot CakesElena Duggan
- 600g Carrots, chopped (or leftover from the night before)
- 400g can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed,1 bunch Coriander, leaves only
- 20g Cumin, ground
- 20g Coriander, ground
- 2lge Eggs, free range, organic
- 25g Harissa paste
- White pepper to taste
- Murray River salt to taste
- If mix is too moist, add up to 75g of falafel mix or GF bread crumbs
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- Remaining coriander from above
- 1 Lemon
- Place a pot of water over high heat and bring the boil. Place steaming basket on top and lid.
- Steam carrots until just tender and remove from heat. Place in a bowl and mash. Allow steam to escape and carrots to cool, striving to get them as dry as possible.
- Add chickpeas to carrots and mash together.
- Finely dice ¼ of the coriander leaves and add to the bowl along with the spices, harissa and egg.
- Combine thoroughly and using your hands form equal portioned balls, should make 8-10.
- Allow patties to cool whilst preparing the sauce.
- In a food processor, blitz lemon juice, remaining coriander leaves and yoghurt until smooth and vibrant green.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, heat oil to a medium high heat.
- Flatten chilled balls into a pattie shape and cook in batches for 2-3minutes each side until brown and crispy.
- Serve with coriander yoghurt and additional fresh leaves if desired.
- Well drained lentils can be used as an alternative to chickpeas
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose/ sugar free (optional – sweet potato or cauliflower could be used as a lower carb alternative to carrot)
- Nut free
- Dairy free, optional
- Vegan, optional –replace dairy yoghurt with coconut yoghurt
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...