Harissa Carrot CakesElena Duggan
- 600g Carrots, chopped (or leftover from the night before)
- 400g can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed,1 bunch Coriander, leaves only
- 20g Cumin, ground
- 20g Coriander, ground
- 2lge Eggs, free range, organic
- 25g Harissa paste
- White pepper to taste
- Murray River salt to taste
- If mix is too moist, add up to 75g of falafel mix or GF bread crumbs
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- Remaining coriander from above
- 1 Lemon
- Place a pot of water over high heat and bring the boil. Place steaming basket on top and lid.
- Steam carrots until just tender and remove from heat. Place in a bowl and mash. Allow steam to escape and carrots to cool, striving to get them as dry as possible.
- Add chickpeas to carrots and mash together.
- Finely dice ¼ of the coriander leaves and add to the bowl along with the spices, harissa and egg.
- Combine thoroughly and using your hands form equal portioned balls, should make 8-10.
- Allow patties to cool whilst preparing the sauce.
- In a food processor, blitz lemon juice, remaining coriander leaves and yoghurt until smooth and vibrant green.
- In a large non-stick fry pan, heat oil to a medium high heat.
- Flatten chilled balls into a pattie shape and cook in batches for 2-3minutes each side until brown and crispy.
- Serve with coriander yoghurt and additional fresh leaves if desired.
- Well drained lentils can be used as an alternative to chickpeas
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low fructose/ sugar free (optional – sweet potato or cauliflower could be used as a lower carb alternative to carrot)
- Nut free
- Dairy free, optional
- Vegan, optional –replace dairy yoghurt with coconut yoghurt
Ingredients: Serves 4 10 ripe figs 2 long red chillies ½ bunch basil Extra virgin olive oil 4 slices of sour dough bread 50g parmesan cheese 2 whole buffalo mozzarella ½ cup of crème criache Baking paper Method: Grill the chillies on your stovetop to blacken and...
Ingredients: 4 thick pork loin chops skin off 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped 1 stick of rosemary, leaves picked and roughly chopped 4 fresh bay leaves, roughly chopped 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup olive oil 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper Flaky salt Apple...
Ingredients: Serves 6 2 bulbs garlic 6 large chicken thighs, on the bone, skin on 4 long stalks rosemary, sprigs removed (about 20) 1/4 bunch thyme salt and freshly ground black pepper A drizzle of olive oil Approx. 500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) Massel https://massel.com/...
Ingredients: Yorkshire Pudding Batter 225gm flour Pinch salt 3 eggs whole 200ml milk 200ml water The Toad 8 course minced pork sausages 4 Streaky bacon rashers 8inch long fresh rosemary sprigs Cracked black pepper Veg oil 1/2 cup The Sauce 1 large brown onion peeled...
Ingredients: 320g semolina plus a little extra 40g greens such as spinach or Tuscan kale Extra Virgin Olive Oil Sea salt and cracked pepper Pesto 1 garlic clove, peeled 20g pine nuts 50g wild rocket 25g parmesan plus a little extra Juice of 1 lemon Method: To make the...
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...