- 2 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 100g pancetta, finely diced
- 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped
- 150g chicken mince
- 150g pork mince
- 150g veal mince
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g butter,
- 80g plain flour
- 2cups of milk
- 250g mozzarella, grated
- 150g parmigiano reggiano, grated
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- To make the Bechamel, melt down the butter. Whisk in the flour and stir until it bubbles. Add in your milk gradually, stir and season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy based large pot, add 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and allow to heat. Add the onion, pancetta, carrot, celery, garlic and herbs and allow to fry off and allow the sofrito base to caramelise lightly and soften. In batches, add in the mince in small amounts to ensure the meat browns off, not boils. Once all the meat is browned off, deglaze with the wine and allow it to reduce by half.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and season with salt, freshly cracked black pepper and some freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/3 of the nut, turn the heat down to low and allow to bubble for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until thick, reduced and cooked out.
- To assemble, line your baking dish with a small amount of the Bolognese to ensure the pasta doesn’t stick to the tray. Lay a sheet of blanched pasta down, generously cover with bolognese to ensure all corners are covered, then drizzle with béchamel cheese. Alternate layers with either parmigiano cheese or the mozzarella cheese. Continue to layer the lasagna until the tray is full and you’ve used up all sauces.
- Cover with foil and place into a preheated oven at 180c for about 35 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 to ensure the top goes crispy. Allow the lasagna to sit for 10 minutes on the bench before cutting into it to ensure it holds its layers.
- One of my fondest childhood memories was going to Nonna rosa’s house on a Sunday for lunch, where lasagna was always on the menu. Probably to this day, one of the best meals I’ve ever had. A very special recipe..
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Barbera.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...
Ingredients: 4 roma tomatoes ½ brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, finely diced 1 tbsp chilli oil ½ cup white wine 500g goolwa pippies 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped 250g fresh taglierini or linguine 1 lemon, juice only 50g unsalted butter Sea salt flakes Black...
Ingredients: 3 cups plain flour, plus extra Salt 1 ¼ cups warm water 150ml Peanut oil, plus extra Cheese Filling: 500g ricotta cheese 100gm Greek fetta 300gm cottage cheese 300ml thickened cream 2 eggs Salt Method: Combine the cheeses in a large bowl and mix together,...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms 1 tbsp oil 225g Chicken mince 2 tbsp fish sauce 1 lime, juice only 1 tsp caster sugar 3 spring onions, finely chopped ¼ cucumber, finely diced 2 red chillies, finely sliced 1cm ginger,...
Ingredients: 6 chicken thighs 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs ½ bunch parsley 100g parmigiano cheese 2 garlic cloves Sea salt Black pepper Flour, for dusting 2 eggs Method: Blitz the parsley, cheese and garlic into a fine crumb and mix through the breadcrumbs. Season with...
Ingredients: 1/2 head of cauliflower, outer leaves removed and retained, cauliflower chopped into florets. 1 clove of garlic - peeled & sliced in half 1 tsp of sultanas or raisins (optional) 6 black peppercorns 1/4 tsp turmeric 1/4 tsp curry powder 3/4 cup...