- 4 chicken thigh fillets, organic free range
- 1lge White onion, halved then finely sliced
- 4lge Eggs, organic free range
To Season / Sauce
- 150g Dashi
- 50g Ponzu (Obento)
- 50g Mirin (Obento)
- 50g Sake (Obento)
- 50g Tamari (Asian Inspirations)
- 25-50g Xylitol
- 500g Cooked, Japanese short grain rice (Asian Inspirations)
- Spring onions, finely sliced
- Shichimi Togarashi, (seven spice) (Asian Inspirations)
- Pickled ginger (Obento)
- If available – Mitsuba, leaves only (Japanese parsley, similar to flat leaf parsley in flavour)
- Mix all seasoning ingredients together in a small jug until thoroughly combined and dissolved, then set aside.
- Crack and beat eggs into a small bowl, set aside.
- Slice each chicken thigh into 6-8pieces, set aside.
- Place onion in a medium size, non-stick frypan, and cover with half the seasoning, bring to a gentle simmer. Place chicken pieces on top. Cook for 1-2minutes, before turning chicken pieces, then place a lid on and cook for a further 5-6 minutes. Remove lid, and turn chicken pieces again.
- Whilst mixing, gently pour the eggs over the chicken and onion mix, in and around all the pieces, starting in the centre and working your way outward. Replace lid and cook for a further 2minutes, or until egg is just set. A small amount of jiggle is fine, cook to desired firmness.
- Sprinkle over greens of choice and remove from heat.
- Divide rice among bowls, and gently place portion on top of rice.
- Serve with additional seasoning as desired, togarashi and pickled ginger.
- This dish translates to Parent and Child Donburri (chicken and egg rice) and is a classic, comfort food dish in Japan.
- One pan / pot – minimal clean up.
- Common main ingredients, sauces easily sourced in Australian supermarkets.
- No oil, light meal.
- Ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free and low fructose
- Dairy free
- Nut free
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...