- 4 chicken thigh fillets, organic free range
- 1lge White onion, halved then finely sliced
- 4lge Eggs, organic free range
To Season / Sauce
- 150g Dashi
- 50g Ponzu (Obento)
- 50g Mirin (Obento)
- 50g Sake (Obento)
- 50g Tamari (Asian Inspirations)
- 25-50g Xylitol
- 500g Cooked, Japanese short grain rice (Asian Inspirations)
- Spring onions, finely sliced
- Shichimi Togarashi, (seven spice) (Asian Inspirations)
- Pickled ginger (Obento)
- If available – Mitsuba, leaves only (Japanese parsley, similar to flat leaf parsley in flavour)
- Mix all seasoning ingredients together in a small jug until thoroughly combined and dissolved, then set aside.
- Crack and beat eggs into a small bowl, set aside.
- Slice each chicken thigh into 6-8pieces, set aside.
- Place onion in a medium size, non-stick frypan, and cover with half the seasoning, bring to a gentle simmer. Place chicken pieces on top. Cook for 1-2minutes, before turning chicken pieces, then place a lid on and cook for a further 5-6 minutes. Remove lid, and turn chicken pieces again.
- Whilst mixing, gently pour the eggs over the chicken and onion mix, in and around all the pieces, starting in the centre and working your way outward. Replace lid and cook for a further 2minutes, or until egg is just set. A small amount of jiggle is fine, cook to desired firmness.
- Sprinkle over greens of choice and remove from heat.
- Divide rice among bowls, and gently place portion on top of rice.
- Serve with additional seasoning as desired, togarashi and pickled ginger.
- This dish translates to Parent and Child Donburri (chicken and egg rice) and is a classic, comfort food dish in Japan.
- One pan / pot – minimal clean up.
- Common main ingredients, sauces easily sourced in Australian supermarkets.
- No oil, light meal.
- Ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free and low fructose
- Dairy free
- Nut free
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...