Slow Cooked BeefKathy Tsaples
- 1 1⁄2 kg round steak, cleaned and cut into cubes
- 3 cans of Roma tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1⁄2 cup of olive oil, plus an additional 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1L water or chicken stock (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A few basil leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cooking salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a heavy-based wide casserole dish, brown your meat a little at a time so that it doesn’t stew.
- Once all the meat has browned, add the onion and the garlic cloves. Stir a few times.
- Add the tomato paste and sweet paprika, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon and bay leaf as well as the half cup of olive oil.
- Add 1 litre of water or chicken stock if you like, close the lid, and simmer gently for about 1 hour. Check every so often and stir.
- The liquid will evaporate, leaving a lusciously thick tomato sauce. The meat should be soft and melt in your mouth.
- If the meat needs more cooking, just add a little more water and continue to simmer. In the final 15 minutes, add the 2 tablespoons of oil, basil leaves and red wine vinegar
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...